Im hoping for something very similar,

i say good luck with it i hope the feeders get fat fast for you

Mark

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
When you say "You can't do that.", you have already admitted defeat.

Keep up the good work.:headbang2

stingray94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
Rhode Island
I still don't understand why you choose goldfish instead of guppies or rosy reds. It doesn't make sense to me. They can be bought for around the same price, goldfish produce A LOT more waste than guppies do, goldfish are the worst/least healthy feeder fish to feed to other fish and with goldfish you would have to buy 100 every week if you stick 100 guppies in the tank you will have a steady supply of them and you will never have to buy any ever again. Goldfish would never breed in this tank. Also if you breed your own feeder fish, it is less likely for them to be diseased. I would highly suggest that you feed the goldfish that you have now to your fish and than get some guppies. Anyway good luck and let us know how you make out.

4kidsnomoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
Staten Island
u are nuts but in a good way- being the tank is that large can u get a feeder fish that is a fast breeder and keep up with the live stock - might be a silly thought but i figured i would through it out there

oscar vini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2008
india
gold fish are messy i cant imagine the waste those 1000 golds r goin to produce .....i strongly think u should go for guppies ....anyway best of luck ....keep us updated ......

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
i wish i had that kind of money for my feeders i wonder what your tanks look like...lol gold plated and made of 3" acrylic....heheehhe

Acer

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
Canada
I don't wanna sound like a jerk or start anything, but with all this information on goldfish making poor feeders (nutritionally, for one thing), why do people still use them?

Cheap or not, I wouldn't feed my fish goldfish... they just don't make good feeders; it seems like people do it out of tradition/cost rather than the health of their fish in mind.

I'd breed guppies or convicts instead

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
muckieman;1596652; said:
i wish i had that kind of money for my feeders i wonder what your tanks look like...lol gold plated and made of 3" acrylic....heheehhe

LOL i wish it was gold plated but all my $$$ can from 8 months of 56 hours work weeks so i figured why the hell not if i got the $$$ then do it if it wasn't for the forced OT then i wouldn't have this thread right now

YES gold are VERY VERY messy thats why i have gone to the extremes i have to filter this tank and will more then likely have to do water changes every three days when the tank stock is high and i have thought about roseys insted but i won't do guppys (personal preference) i like watching my reds eat bigger fish and for then nutrition factor i do not worry about that b/c there diet is supplimented heavily with cichlid sticks krill and floating tropical fish pellets so nutrition isn't an issue they will get it from the other food if not from the feeders but roseys are still an option

I know that golds will NOT breed in this tank u need a small pond and alot of time to get them to breed and thats not worth it to me and i don't have the space.

I maybe a lil nuts but thats the way i am and i like it

I like to make the complex look EZ and the EZ look worthless

IF I fail at least I know i've tried, not wished I'd tried

Avonnite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2008
WI
Oooh, I see, so I guess it is more fun to have goldfish, which are bigger.

I'm actually planning to do this with a 75, too, except with guppies. I'm trying to get some healthy ones (due to bad LFS stock), but I found a good place for feeders now.

If you just want to be the most cost efficient in the long run, I suggest you get some cheap gravel for good bacteria to grow on the bottom and take care of some of the waste. If you do decide to change your mind, guppies would be much more cost efficient.

Here's my plan:

start w/ 200 in a 75 gallon, lose very few due to cramped tank, have a constant supply of feeders. :D They'd just keep on breeding, and you'd never have to buy more... Also, when the denitrifying bacteria sets in, you won't have to do many water changes at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store