is this silicone safe?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Like others have said, research into the subject will mostly recommend GE1 because supposedly it doesn't have mold inhibitors. GE does have a disclaimer on the package to not use their product for aquarium use, not so much because it is toxic but rather because their law team recommended this IMO. They make gazillions of dollars selling these silicone products for home improvement purposes, they don't want to be liable for amateurs/hacks, in a tiny market, suing them for doing things incorrectly and damaging their homes/properties.

That said, I've used GE1 to resealed my 180 in 2013 and have been growing out a bunch of CA, and haven't had any issues. Everybody is growing and seems to be doing just fine. I would like to make clear that I only used GE1 to resealed and not rebuild the tank.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I wouldn't use it for resealing a tank, but if you are just installing baffles then GE I or II is perfectly safe as long as you allow them to fully cure. Both are completely inert once dry. That said, give it longer than the couple days the tube says, I'd give it at least a week. Silicone dries from the outside in, so it may appear dry but may not be completely cured.

bradleyagregg

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
pittsburgh
GE1 is perfectly safe. Do you guys actually think the aquarium companies make their own silicone?

As stated previously the only reason for the disclaimer is legal liability.

If spending way more than you need to makes you feel better then by all means purchase the "aquarium silicone", but I would bet my mortgage it is simply rebranded GE or DAP or one of the major producers of sealant products.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I've tossed this issue around in my head for a long time. In the end i bought a brand of silicone that is made for aquarium use. Why take the risk I figured! Did I spend more? yeah, but just a few dollars more.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Marineland makes a silicone for tank biulds. White tube with blue lettering

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
H
GE1 is perfectly safe. Do you guys actually think the aquarium companies make their own silicone?

As stated previously the only reason for the disclaimer is legal liability.

If spending way more than you need to makes you feel better then by all means purchase the "aquarium silicone", but I would bet my mortgage it is simply rebranded GE or DAP or one of the major producers of sealant products.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Well for $12 a tube I'll sleep better knowing that the tube says for aquarium use and nothing is going to leech in my tank and kill my high end fish. I don't care if it's $50 a tube. I'll still buy it over some GE crap that you can buy at Home Depot that no one really has a straight answer about

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I used GE II silicone on my DIY background, about 4 tubes of the stuff. Been holding for about a year, no ill effects on the fish. I've heard that GE II is not good for sealing glass aquariums, don't know personally.

I don't think that particular tube is aquarium safe with the anti mold labels on it. The stuff I bought didn't have any anti mold markings on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store