is this silicone safe?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
H
Well for $12 a tube I'll sleep better knowing that the tube says for aquarium use and nothing is going to leech in my tank and kill my high end fish. I don't care if it's $50 a tube. I'll still buy it over some GE crap that you can buy at Home Depot that no one really has a straight answer about
Do you really 100% know if in fact the sealant you're using positively isn't leaching any sort of harmful chemicals? Are you an advanced chemist with the proper equipment to test such products? Even then, there still may be harmful things today's technology isn't able to detect. Science is constantly discovering things that are potentially harmful to us from things we use daily, such as BPA from plastic water bottles and canned food as an example. Just because something is advertised as "fish safe" doesn't necessarily make it so, such as aquarium algaecide. And who the hell really knows, at any given time, what could be in the water coming out of our faucets.

BTW jsodwi, this is an attack, but rather a sort of "devil's advocate"

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Well you guys can use whatever you want. The OP was asking opinions. I gave mine. Good luck in whatever everyone uses. But ASI has all the strength and pressure failure rates stated. In sure Home Depot sale caulk does not. Good luck everyone

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Well you guys can use whatever you want. The OP was asking opinions. I gave mine. Good luck in whatever everyone uses. But ASI has all the strength and pressure failure rates stated. In sure Home Depot sale caulk does not. Good luck everyone
I agree with you on not using GE silicone as a primary adhesive, but I believe the OP just wanted to replace the in-tank silicone bead layer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store