It dats not stable

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Strange thing is i have found them to be more stable when stressed. For example, each time i have caught one and whilst chasing them around the tank with a net, they become more colourful. I returned the second Dat from the sump to the main tank last night. When i caught him he became stuck in the net. I ended up having to cut him free with scissors. Must have been stressful for the fish, but i have never seen him so colourful! He stayed like this for around 10 minutes in the main tank and then he went dark!

Pascharaptor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2013
Indonesia
I think it depends on the mental condition of the fish. A friend of mine told me that when you keep an unstable datz with other predatory tank, it will eventually become more stable. I've tried it out with my IT and it works pretty well...:headbang2
Mine always colors up anytime except when it's lying on the corner..
So, I think by doing that the fish will become mentally confident to color up..;)

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Strange thing is i have found them to be more stable when stressed. For example, each time i have caught one and whilst chasing them around the tank with a net, they become more colourful. I returned the second Dat from the sump to the main tank last night. When i caught him he became stuck in the net. I ended up having to cut him free with scissors. Must have been stressful for the fish, but i have never seen him so colourful! He stayed like this for around 10 minutes in the main tank and then he went dark!
This is something I pointed out a long time ago

When I said the stress = stable everyone just lol at me and said no way

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
....and I still do lol.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not to bring that whole debate back up but I recently had to place all of my bigger dats in a seventy five gallon tank temporarily..The tank only had gravel,just like the bigger tank that they were transported from so there was space for them to move a bit but things were cramped due to their sizes.They barely wanted to move and they pretty much sat against each other on the bottom...and were dark..even the pulchers...Now,once I returned them to their larger tank they almost instantly seemed to stable up with all of them showing their dark bars on light background and gliding around the tank showing off their beauty.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
The 2 A.T are have now been in the sump for about three days. The I.T in the main tank are showing more signs of stability, hanging around the front of the tank more and feeding on pellets more than they were. Hopefully over the next few weeks they will become more stable.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
So i sold the two silver dats. 4 of the 5 remaining Indos were caught and put in the sump. The one remaining has been on his own for about 3 weeks. The 4 in the sump have now gone on hunger strike! The one in the main tank remains unstable and only comes to the front of the tank when lights are out.
One of the fish in the sump has turned more gold/yellow than the other 3 but no dark stripes. I have moved this one to the main tank as this one seems to be more sociable. Turning out to be a royal pain in the butt trying to get one decent stable Indo. I am close to giving up and selling all of them to be honest. These guys were stable in the last owners tank. All of them have doubled in size since i purchased them a few months ago but will not become stable. My idea of putting them all in the sump then choosing the best to keep doesn't seem to be working. When they are unstable it is imposible to choose the one with the best pattern.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store