Jack Trevally

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Nice uluas! They fight like nobodies business! So fun when you get 'em on a popper.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks for the inspiration.
I know they are powerful eaters cause when they pop their jaws putting down big pieces of food, it sounds like they are tapping of the glass. They would open and close the jaw and flair their gills creating a popping sound.
Also noticed that they like surface feeding more than picking food off the tank floor. GT would not feed off the bottom but Bigeye will. GT is meaner and showing bigger teeth.
Having them in a tank has provided a great opportunity to study their habits.

Reactions: moe214

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Thanks for the inspiration.
I know they are powerful eaters cause when they pop their jaws putting down big pieces of food, it sounds like they are tapping of the glass. They would open and close the jaw and flair their gills creating a popping sound.
Also noticed that they like surface feeding more than picking food off the tank floor. GT would not feed off the bottom but Bigeye will. GT is meaner and showing bigger teeth.
Having them in a tank has provided a great opportunity to study their habits.
Interesting... I have one spot that I catch white papio where they seem to really like picking the lure off the bottom. I cast it as far as I can to a certain spot and let my lure sink. If it lands on the spot a few seconds after it hits the bottom I will feel the nibble. Set the hook and let them run! ;)

Are you talking about the grunting noise they make? Or that they make a popping noise with their grinder in their throat?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Interesting... I have one spot that I catch white papio where they seem to really like picking the lure off the bottom. I cast it as far as I can to a certain spot and let my lure sink. If it lands on the spot a few seconds after it hits the bottom I will feel the nibble. Set the hook and let them run! ;)

Are you talking about the grunting noise they make? Or that they make a popping noise with their grinder in their throat?
You must be using your Little Mermaid pole fishing out of the Ala Wai Canal.:)
Grunting you're talking about is when they get hooked and pulled out of the water. The sound I'm talking about is like when kids make popping sounds from smacking their lips.

Looking good Ken!
Thanks G

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
You must be using your Little Mermaid pole fishing out of the Ala Wai Canal.:)
What! You seen me! I dress like a Filipino landscaper and try to hide! Never thought anyone would notice me wearing all that garb. Oh and it's a spongebob pole... Catch me using a little mermaid pole... Psshhhh... Delicious Alawai canal papio, mullet, aholehole, barracuda, and Samoan crabs! Even more delicious is the tilapia outta there! I use spit for bait. Gotta get those luggies nice and thick so they make it to the bottom for the whites. ;)

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kendragon

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Grunting you're talking about is when they get hooked and pulled out of the water. The sound I'm talking about is like when kids make popping sounds from smacking their lips.
Interesting that the sound of them inhaling their food is that loud at that size.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
What! You seen me! I dress like a Filipino landscaper and try to hide! Never thought anyone would notice me wearing all that garb. Oh and it's a spongebob pole... Catch me using a little mermaid pole... Psshhhh... Delicious Alawai canal papio, mullet, aholehole, barracuda, and Samoan crabs! Even more delicious is the tilapia outta there! I use spit for bait.

View attachment 1193135
LMAO....very nice fishing stix you got there.

Reactions: ECW
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store