Jardini tank size?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Sounds like a runt or stunted perhaps, at 5" any aro should be growing around an inch a month if housed and fed properly. If your jardini hasn't outgrown a 4' tank in 3-4 years there's something wrong, quite possibly the tank size.

IMO you should be upgrading to a larger tank (6x2x2' at the very least) by the time it gets to 12-14", so if you base it at around an inch a month you could have around 10 months.
Yea i find mine growing about 1.5 inches a month roughly maybe even 2 inches some months... Its all about how you feed it and amount of water changes you do. I do I 30% water change every other day.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Sounds like a runt or stunted perhaps, at 5" any aro should be growing around an inch a month if housed and fed properly. If your jardini hasn't outgrown a 4' tank in 3-4 years there's something wrong, quite possibly the tank size.

IMO you should be upgrading to a larger tank (6x2x2' at the very least) by the time it gets to 12-14", so if you base it at around an inch a month you could have around 10 months.
Yep, way too many people on here that don't know how to properly raise fish giving their advice and sharing their experiences.

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Like others have said, wont last increadably long.

If you wanted a Jardini, you should have just gotten a 180g instead of a 90g and not had to worry about upgrading.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
But how long do I have till I need to upgrade?
What do you mean by "need to upgrade"? There isn't a clearly defined line, you're not going to wake up one morning and find your fish is suddenly too big for it's tank. The question should really be "I can set up a 180g aquarium in six months time, will my jardini be ok in a 90g until then?". The reality is that the sooner you get your jar into a "for life" tank the better. Moving any fish is stressful and it only gets worse as they get bigger. You shouldn't be waiting until you "need to upgrade", you should be doing it as soon as you possibly can.

Reactions: Liampikoulas

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
But how long do I have till I need to upgrade?
A good year should be the max that you keep him in there. Im currently struggling to find a 180 or 210 for my jar thats about 9 inches... But it could be tomorrow that it pops up on craigs! But i have a good 3 months till then :)

edwinc88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
India

Jardini r the slowest breed of aro in growth terms as far as i know...I got a free jardini from my friend and housed it in my spare 4x2x2 fgt for 3 years and it grew to max 26 inches...after which i exchanged it for 3 juv rtgs :D

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
So what do you call "full size" for a jardini if it is alright in a 5' long 2' wide tank?

Jardini r the slowest breed of aro in growth terms as far as i know...I got a free jardini from my friend and housed it in my spare 4x2x2 fgt for 3 years and it grew to max 26 inches...
Perhaps the [IMO] inadequate tank size had something to do with the slow growth?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store