Jardini tank size?

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
By "upgrade" I mean that I will be moving in a year and at that point I will go get a 220g for the basement of the new house. Until then I only have a 90g. My question was just to see if I could start now, or should I wait.

Jardini's are not the most common, and I was able to get one. So all I wanted to know if it was possible with my current set up.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
By "upgrade" I mean that I will be moving in a year and at that point I will go get a 220g for the basement of the new house. Until then I only have a 90g. My question was just to see if I could start now, or should I wait.

Jardini's are not the most common, and I was able to get one. So all I wanted to know if it was possible with my current set up.
Go for it! It sounds like you have a solid plan in place.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Am I right in thinking asian aros are legal in Canada? My 2c would be to save your coin while you're waiting to move so you can afford something like a RTG by the time you set up your new tank. It will cost the same amount of money to house and feed a jardini or a rtg (or any Scleropages Spp.) so if you're willing to be patient you'll be able to get a much nicer looking fish and you'll have a much higher chance of success with tankmates as rtg don't usually turn into psyco killers at ~12" as many jardini do.

If you really want a jar then thats fine, but IMO you'd still be better off waiting a while so you're not having to move a 14"+ fish in 12 months time.

edwinc88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
India
So what do you call "full size" for a jardini if it is alright in a 5' long 2' wide tank?

Perhaps the [IMO] inadequate tank size had something to do with the slow growth?
I duno how long Jardinis grow...but they atleast do not outgrow Silvers in a tank environment.
Anyways, bigger the tank, better for the fish,faster for its growth and also so that the owner do not hve to use more resources in setting up a biger tank later :)

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
Asian's are defiantly legal in Canada, and that is a great option. Much to think about.

My goal is a planted tank with a aro swimming within the planted environment.

edwinc88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
India
Asian's are defiantly legal in Canada, and that is a great option. Much to think about.

My goal is a planted tank with a aro swimming within the planted environment.
I wouldnt put an arowana on a planted tank...They like to have as much space as they can get...just my opinion...U can try anything u want n let us know about ur experience :)
Good luck with ur new venture.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
A planted tank with an arowana is a great idea, if you're clever when planning the scape so as not to take away too much of the swimming space with tall plants.

Have a look on youtube, plenty of planted aro set ups on there.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
My jar will rip out anything that isn't held down by a suction cup. I had some small dwarf grass and within 2 mins he shredded it into a million pieces -___-

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store