Keeping a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft tank in an upstairs flat help

Vincentaquarium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2013
newcastle
every wall!

seriously tho, either do it or don't do it. Mincing about like this isn't helping! :)
It's easy for you to say just go and do it but it isn't you who faces the problems if anything happens (hopefully it will not). I've decided the only way to sort this after thoroughly reading the article that refutes myths and set the story straight is to get a structural engineer out and he/she can tell me straight.

For the position of the tank, it will be against a wall and running the opposite way to the joists and will be fully supported by a few joists. I need to now work out the exact amount of weight each joist will be holding.

PufferXtreme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
UK
I would imagine the structural engineer will say no, probably mainly to cover himself if something were to happen!
A lot of European and Asian fishkeepers live in flats and have large fishtanks without problems and I've seen a fair few larger tanks in flats in the UK in my time too. The weight on the floor/joists is a sheer weight so it won't be moving about, once it's there it's not going to be wobbling or changing stresses on the floor.

I wasn't trying to be an ass about it all, it's just you're stuck in a crappy situation that the only real way to find out about is to do it. You'll hear a million different opinions on it from various people but just remember opinions are like ********s, everyone has one.

Until either a structural engineer nixes the idea or you go ahead with it, this thread won't progress and you'll just build up more and more confusing information.

Good luck with it and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Hart1985

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
exeter devon
I would imagine the structural engineer will say no, probably mainly to cover himself if something were to happen!
A lot of European and Asian fishkeepers live in flats and have large fishtanks without problems and I've seen a fair few larger tanks in flats in the UK in my time too. The weight on the floor/joists is a sheer weight so it won't be moving about, once it's there it's not going to be wobbling or changing stresses on the floor.

I wasn't trying to be an ass about it all, it's just you're stuck in a crappy situation that the only real way to find out about is to do it. You'll hear a million different opinions on it from various people but just remember opinions are like ********s, everyone has one.

Until either a structural engineer nixes the idea or you go ahead with it, this thread won't progress and you'll just build up more and more confusing information.

If a structural engineer said no on the other hand he's covering your own ass too if it fell through whats the worst possible outcome???? Death

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vincentaquarium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2013
newcastle

Sorry my bad, I took it the wrong way.

See that's the problem I'm facing - go for it and hope for the best or second option (probably safer) is get someone to look at it first.

If it is safe then why would he say no I cannot have it? It's his job to tell me whether or not its okay or not.

I've read around and seen obviously every floor is different and every floor concrete or wood has a limit you have to work out either by yourself or get someone to do it since just because one person has successfully got a large tank upstairs does not mean another can.

I'm presuming the old school lot on this forum has seen this question asked so many times, my apologises. It's a very controversial and complex question too.

It may be a sheer weight but its going to way so much that it if it goes wrong then I will be in deep trouble...

Such a horrible situation.

PufferXtreme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
UK
Sorry my bad, I took it the wrong way.
If it is safe then why would he say no I cannot have it? It's his job to tell me whether or not its okay or not.
It's all about risk, if there's any chance of an issue an assessor will tell you no, it covers them easily. Don't forget we live in a country that is risk assessment obsessed! This is the reason I think they'll tell you no. If you do go down that route, make sure to find a surveyor who is actually knowledgeable about Aquarium installs and is able to offer good advice. :)

Potentially yes and that's why I want to know for sure, it will be difficult to sleep at night.
If it will be difficult to sleep at night you should just forget it now. As I've said before this thread can not progress any further at this point, some people will tell you yes, some will tell you no, how many actually know what they're talking about? Only you can decide! Until then the thread will keep on spinning about, you'll hear more opinions and get more confused!

When can you get this dude to come to your flat and assess it?

PufferXtreme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
UK
I said worst possible consequence. It could also just put so much pressure on the floor making it sag over time making the tank unlevel. It could crack a joist etc

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
yes I agree with all these points yet I've never seen them happen. This is the beauty of risk assessment, everything COULD happen, and that's what most assessors will say!

I think OP is looking for a cast iron guarantee when he himself isn't confident of the idea. Tricky situation!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store