keeping illegal fish

suds1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Midwest
I personally feel like as long as you aren't getting wild specimen's then having endangered fish keeps them around even if they aren't wild. Problem is us human's can't stop collecting wild specimen's and you can't prove my fish aren't wild...

On the release standpoint, having an invasive should be safe if everyone just kept them in their tanks and didn't release them. However we human's have proven that we can't be trusted not to do stupid things like let fish, snakes, dogs, babies, etc go in the wild when we don't want them anymore.

I have always found new homes for all of the fish I couldn't keep, however, I understand why I can't have some fish even if it pisses me off that others ruined it for me.

I don't support keeping illegal species because of the human comments above. The person that has them may not dump them, but what about the next guy that does?

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
maybe I should've high-lighted typically

mrblah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
earth
its an interesting discussion. hopefully the mods here won't close the thread if things get heated.

in any case, the federal govt/private enterprise in the united states has done far more to destroy lakes/rivers/streams by introducing and accidently introducing non-native species into our waterways than any single person in the hobby could dream of doing.

and then the feds go and continue to keep bans up on fish that shouldn't be banned for ANY REASON. take the asian aro, bred by the 10's of thousands in ponds across south east asia, levels in the wild are back to normal and still the united states clings to some a cites status from almost 40 years ago.

or how about freshwater rays. plenty of states in the US allow freshwater rays, but because a state senator in CA heard that FW rays MIGHT be able to live in our lakes/rivers and they have a stinger that stings (ironic, i know) they needed to be banned and not allowed in the state.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
What leads you to believe that wild populations of asian aros are back to normal? To my knowledge, there has yet to be a formal counting by an authoritative agency of any sort. The last population study was nearly 35 years ago.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oddball;5042720; said:
What leads you to believe that wild populations of asian aros are back to normal? To my knowledge, there has yet to be a formal counting by an authoritative agency of any sort. The last population study was nearly 35 years ago.
This was going to be part of my rebuttal to this poster,beat me to it.

fish_arent_real

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
o.f.a. fall out shelter
Morganj2;5042512; said:
if its illegal its illegal bottom line, read up on snakeheads in america, or look at the inavise species list in florida, that is why illegal fish are illegal
lol there illegal because stupid people let them go. which has basically messed everything for real fish keepers being as your from ohio aswell i feel as if you should laugh at any fish being illegal here. because really should one states mess up effect the rest of us is the real question??????

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
To mrblah...what about those wild Asian arowanas you spoke of?

mrblah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
earth
i know a number of people who live in areas that were previously devastated by overfishing as well as i've spoken with a number of the gentlemen doing the farming of asian aros in east asia. now, there may not be any govt study done to give any official number in east asia, but i'm going to believe the people that live there and make a living off of the fish than i am someone on an internet forum who has shown a bias towards the rule more than than actual info.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
mrblah;5042758; said:
i know a number of people who live in areas that were previously devastated by overfishing as well as i've spoken with a number of the gentlemen doing the farming of asian aros in east asia. now, there may not be any govt study done to give any official number in east asia, but i'm going to believe the people that live there and make a living off of the fish than i am someone on an internet forum who has shown a bias towards the rule more than than actual info.
That all sounds great but you are armed with no hard documented proof of these claims...Like they say on here all the time,"Photos or it didn't happen".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store