keeping Illiegal fish...

predatorpassion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
its wierd because here they ban stupid fish.... like african tiger fish, electric eels.. elec. catfish... arowanas. freshwater stingrays....

and my local lfs has an electric catfish, arowanas, and has said he could get me any of the following fish....

I was offered 2 breeding adult redline snakeheads for 80$ before the ban and I am still kicking myself for not buying them.... :(

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
What I dont understand is why they ban fish that could not servive in our native waters esp over the long cold winter. :swear: Damn burocrates! :FIREdevil

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
I see "suspect" fish for sale all over, I think if you had something pre-ban it is legal to keep, I wish certain fish were legal in my state, but I guess they have reasons for banning them? Wish I got those snakeheads too!

Nate77

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2006
Manheim PA
i dont know about other states but i looked up PA laws yesterday and it says
In terms of enforcement, the Commission plans to pursue a deliberate enforcement approach to ensure fairness while maximizing protection for Commonwealth waters. A person introducing live snakehead fish into Commonwealth waters ordinarily will be cited. However, a person found in possession of live snakehead fish in a situation not involving introduction of the fish into Commonwealth waters will be given a reasonable opportunity to dispose lawfully of the fish in a humane manner before commencement of any prosecution or issuance of any citation.
It is unlawful to possess live snakehead species in this Commonwealth. It is unlawful to introduce or import live snakehead species into the waters of this Commonwealth.
it is unlawful to possess grass carp (white amur) in this Commonwealth.
Permission is not required for the importation of tropical fish unless the Commission considers them to be potentially dangerous to native fish species or to man
Transportation of live snakehead species in or through this Commonwealth is prohibited.
heres the link http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol32/32-37/1591.html

Daniel Machado

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fortal Town - Brazil
Here in Brazil you can keep anything banned, as long as you can PROVE that you had it BEFORE the banning. But you can just KEEP IT, not transport it, sell it or even donate it without the required permission.

Best regards.

Daniel.

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
Here in WA when they banned Pirahna they gave you 60 days to get them registered! But here is the catch they did not give out the paperwork to everybody that had P's only some of them! There is actually a guy that has had a colony of P's since the early 80's and they are breeding on a regular basis and that is completely legal since he has all the paperwork... What are they going to say you can't let your fish do it? hahahahah!!!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Just because you owned a fish prior to any given ban, it doesn't make them legal in the US. For the most part, there was a window of time in which you have to register them and aquire the paper work to have them legally. Usually it includes a population count as well as how you are housing them. With paper work the feds can still check up on you at any given point.

In the US, they do have the authority to break up a breeding group.

If it is a fish that you won't be able to aquire paper work for, it must be turned over.

After that, if you get caught, it's a fine and or jail for you.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I would like to see acopy of CITES too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store