Kenyi x5 with Red Zebra x5?

Liz Sagara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
Texas
gobucks1;4931789; said:
The old mantra is to overstock African Cichlids, so long as your filter is up to the task, you should be fine with 12 Kennyis in the tank, provided it is 2.10.

Its got 125 gallons of filtration and 545 gph of filtration. I think it does.

kay-bee

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
Hatchey;4927741; said:
..I have had Kenyi and Red zebras breed, not pretty babies...
I'm curious to know the gender ratio of each species when that occured.

Liz Sagara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
Texas
Got all my Kenyi in the tank. 12 of them. 2 males and 10 females. Bought my LFS out. HA HA HA HA!! MINE THEY"RE ALL MINE!!!... gonna watch for too much aggression and spikes. Shouldn't have one though. The tank has been set up and cycled for about 3 months.

Liz Sagara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
Texas
Too small to really tell yet. But if they end up being male (I'm 60% sure one of them will... blue coloring no yellow but has a faint egg spot 2"~) They're between 1.5-3 inches. Young enough not to be 100% sure about it. I'm 100% sure I have at LEAST 2 males. If I end up with more I will sell them and get females. Gonna make a video of it tonight. I feel weird though... I looked at it.. and I'm stocked 125%.... but my filter turns over 10x the entire volume in an hour. ANd 1/3 of the tank has rocks. Which they like. They can get in there and there's so many turns and crevices that they can't chase each other in it. My Pleco's like them too. made a video. I'll definitely finish it up tonight and post it to Youtube for your guys critique. I'll get a pick of the he-she and post that too. I would honestly like to know how the tank looks to other people I like it. Wish I have a 2 ft width to work with... will eventually upgrade to a 75 (In my own place) for them. One issue... they "flick" themselves against the sand. I haven't seen any Ich but I'm worried. THey also do a lot of displaying puffing up and shimmiying to each other. A couple have locked jaws and "pushed" against each other. This is normal correct? None of them have injuries (other than a couple semi-nipped tail fins that they came with from being in a 20 gallon tank packed 30-40 fish per tank). They eat VERY WELL... can't tell how much food I'm getting in because it gets scarfed up. I only feed what they can eat in about 15-30 seconds. They get puffed up throats a little with the pellets (pre-soaked for five minutes to soften them). Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right...

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
egg spots are not reliable to judge sex. Males are yellow and females are blue, but of course subdominate males will not show color when dominate males are there.

Don't presoak pellets. Cichlids have a second jaws in their mouth to crust the pellets. When you soak them they lose some of the nutritional value.

Also the 24 inch deep tanks are 120s, 75s are 18 inches.

Now that I have said all of this, I do look forward to your video and pictures! Good luck and i hope you get fry.

Liz Sagara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
Texas
Quick question guys .... A simple yes or no will suffice and a simple explanation for the answer. A red tailed shark in the tank?

Yes I do realize they like lower PH but the ones they sell here are used to the higher PH.

1. Is the PH unbearably high at 8.2?
2. Would it get enough food?
3. Could it stand up to the Kenyi's?
4. Would it be too overstocked?

Liz Sagara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
Texas
I hope so too... BUT I have a feeling that I will be overrun....

I did not know that the egg spot wasn't a reliable way... I tried to choose ones without it. Well really I only left three one inch ones in the tank because I figured it's better to get them closer to the same size. I dunno though. I have a little one that's a spit fire. She pushes the 3 inch male around. He's pretty timid though. My other male's yellow got duller and then he fought with the other one a little (chasing and opening his mouth wide and shimmying) and the color got brighter. I guess he's decided he wants to be the dominant male. Gonna have to watch for bullying. I'm excited. They're very interesting...

Liz Sagara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
Texas
well 18 would be better. The one I have is just too narrow for my tastes I rocked the left (if you're looking at it through the window int he sun room and the right if you're looking at the "back" inside the sun room) side and left the other 2 ft open. They seem to enjoy "digging" in the sand. Why do they do that? Food?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store