Keyhole biotope

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
Hi all so I'm still in the process of setting up my first ever cichlid aquarium! I've posted a few times about my parameters and stockings ideas but I'll start from the start again here. I've now obtained most of the equipment, hardscape etc and most importantly the aquarium! Very soon I will begin scaping my tank and starting the fishless cycle. The tank is a jewel Rio 240l (63usgal) 120w*40d*55h I'll be running 2 canisters a fluval 407 and a tetratec 800, it'll be low light, sand substrate, black water, leaf litter, botanicals, lots of wood, pebbles and no plants. The bad news is my water is very hard 8ph, 20gh and 10kh. My latest stocking idea is an Orinoco biotope with keyholes as the cichlid. As a novice to cichlids I know very little about keyholes, I've read they are very peaceful by cichlid standards so hopefully a good choice to start my venture with? The stock I have in mind is 6-10 keyholes, 10-15 corydoras aeneus (orange Venezuelan) and 10-15 cardinal tetra. How do these numbers sound? Will the keyholes need separating if pairs form? Will cardinals just end up being eaten? Are these fish gonna be ok with my hard water? Any better/more interesting stock suggestions? Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 I'd love to here your thoughts on this as you're the one that got me looking at keeping larger groups of smaller cichlids rather than a couple bigger fish and I think if the general consensus is that it won't work long term then I'll probably go with your meeki suggestion. Thanks all

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all so I'm still in the process of setting up my first ever cichlid aquarium! I've posted a few times about my parameters and stockings ideas but I'll start from the start again here. I've now obtained most of the equipment, hardscape etc and most importantly the aquarium! Very soon I will begin scaping my tank and starting the fishless cycle. The tank is a jewel Rio 240l (63usgal) 120w*40d*55h I'll be running 2 canisters a fluval 407 and a tetratec 800, it'll be low light, sand substrate, black water, leaf litter, botanicals, lots of wood, pebbles and no plants. The bad news is my water is very hard 8ph, 20gh and 10kh. My latest stocking idea is an Orinoco biotope with keyholes as the cichlid. As a novice to cichlids I know very little about keyholes, I've read they are very peaceful by cichlid standards so hopefully a good choice to start my venture with? The stock I have in mind is 6-10 keyholes, 10-15 corydoras aeneus (orange Venezuelan) and 10-15 cardinal tetra. How do these numbers sound? Will the keyholes need separating if pairs form? Will cardinals just end up being eaten? Are these fish gonna be ok with my hard water? Any better/more interesting stock suggestions? Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 I'd love to here your thoughts on this as you're the one that got me looking at keeping larger groups of smaller cichlids rather than a couple bigger fish and I think if the general consensus is that it won't work long term then I'll probably go with your meeki suggestion. Thanks all
Rocksor Rocksor
ryansmith83 ryansmith83

Reactions: Tripping Willow 91

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Keyholes are not from the Orinoco basin. They are found northeast of there, in Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana. Here they are often found in clear water streams, creeks, and ponds, and occasionally in blackwater. The water is often acidic. Most keyholes found in the hobby now have been pond-bred for generations and are fairly adaptable to a wide array of parameters, though they won’t likely spawn in hard, alkaline water (though there have been exceptions).

One issue I’ve run into, as have several other hobbyists, is that the farm-raised keyholes frequently have eye issues later in life, developing weird cataracts or something which eventually lead to blindness. I don’t know if this is from generations of inbreeding or if this is something wilds are susceptible to as well.

You can see wild C. maronii here, in footage from the Kourou River in French Guiana, as well as the other fish found in their habitat.

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
Keyholes are not from the Orinoco basin. They are found northeast of there, in Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana. Here they are often found in clear water streams, creeks, and ponds, and occasionally in blackwater. The water is often acidic. Most keyholes found in the hobby now have been pond-bred for generations and are fairly adaptable to a wide array of parameters, though they won’t likely spawn in hard, alkaline water (though there have been exceptions).

One issue I’ve run into, as have several other hobbyists, is that the farm-raised keyholes frequently have eye issues later in life, developing weird cataracts or something which eventually lead to blindness. I don’t know if this is from generations of inbreeding or if this is something wilds are susceptible to as well.

You can see wild C. maronii here, in footage from the Kourou River in French Guiana, as well as the other fish found in their habitat.

Ah ok, would the fish I suggested ever actually inhabit the same water? When I say biotope what I actually mean is a very loosely Orinoco inspired tank, the wood I'll be using is English oak and the leaf litter will also be oak so yer probably best not described as a biotope haha.

Yes I've read most of all the keyholes available are now captive breed and tend to be quite adaptable water wise, I'm not too worried about spawning although it would be nice, the main concern would be general health in hard water. If they're never to spawn does this equal less aggression or would they still pair off and become aggressive?

I'd not heard about the eye issues, I'm in England so I wonder if we have the same issues over here or if our farmed fish are coming from different lines without the eye problems? Be interesting to here from some UK keyhole keepers

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I know of someone in my area who kept captive keyholes for 3-4 years in hard water GH 22, PH 7.8-8.0, TDS 445-500ppm. They eventually developed HITH and weird swelling even with keeping the nitrates below 20ppm.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Are you dead set on the Keyholes? My water tends to be on the hard side too in my locale. For me I researched fish that would do better in the water I have instead of chasing water parameters. Here in SW FL we have farm raised Honduran Red Points & Rainbow Cichlids for example that are raised and bred in hard water. Might be better for you & the fish to look at something more suitable for your water supply so you don't have to constantly tinker with parameters.

Reactions: Tripping Willow 91

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It's pretty hard 20gh 10kh according to my API test, I'm not sure on the TDS though
yeah, I'm sorry I missed that part in skimming through your original post. Your TDS is more likely close to our area.

You could still keep C. aenus in your tap water. I kept them alive and well for 17-20 years, even after not providing the best conditions for the first 15 years. They are pretty hardy. I can't comment on the cardinal tetras since I don't know how successful folks in my area are able to keep them long term.

As for cichlids, Rainbow cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa) are really peaceful and would do well for a cichlid beginner. If you want to do a biotope with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store