L330 that I lost to illness (picture heavy)

andregurov

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
future wetlands, Louisiana
There is truth to the bacteria in the gut of wood-eating loricariids. Conventional thought about new imports is that they are often lacking the necessary bacteria to break down cellulose and need to be re-innoculated with it. To do this, just introduce some royal plec poo (!) and allow the bacteria to get into your new fish. Or something to that effect.

In practical terms, royals with severely hollowed-out bellies can be difficult to bring around. It probably isn't just a lack of wood that kills them, or over-medicating them, or poor aquaria conditions, but a combination of factors that does them in. I've not found royals to be anymore sensitive to most standard aquarium medications than other plecs. However! using both Melafix and Pimafix together is an indication of other problems. The indiscriminate use of medicines (including these) is a serious problem for most fishkeepers. Both are certainly less harmful than say, formalin or victoria green, but are hardly as innocuous as their labels suggest. Melafix certainly has NO practical anti-bacterial powers, and Pimafix is recommended for fungal infections (which are actually quite rare and quite serious in aquaria) - the combined use of both is a "shotgun" approach that probably accomplishes nothing. Ever seen Melafix in a tank? It foams and fractionates bubbles quite badly. When used in overstocked tanks, on tanks with high organic loads, or with BADLY DAMAGED fish it can lessen (in my studied opinion) the gill function of fish. In other words, it decreases the amount of oxygen a fish is able to breathe (probably by causing those same pesky, tiny bubbles to adhere to the gill filaments that remove oxygen from the water and make it available to the fish's bloodstream). Sorry for this length - I'm not certain if it will help determine the why of your fish's passing.

In a nutshell, newly acquired plecs should be quarantined alone, with cover and supplemental oxygen (via airstones or surface agitation), and allowed to feed near-continuously. The point I am making (if any, or maybe just poorly, or maybe just trying to make poorly) is that these fish are extremely stressed, and often simply allowing them time to recuperate alone and/or medicating judiciously and with cause is the best approach one can take. I'm sorry to hear of your loss - the fish was indisputably beautiful. Time to get another :)

J

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
There is truth to the bacteria in the gut of wood-eating loricariids. Conventional thought about new imports is that they are often lacking the necessary bacteria to break down cellulose and need to be re-innoculated with it. To do this, just introduce some royal plec poo (!) and allow the bacteria to get into your new fish. Or something to that effect.

In practical terms, royals with severely hollowed-out bellies can be difficult to bring around. It probably isn't just a lack of wood that kills them, or over-medicating them, or poor aquaria conditions, but a combination of factors that does them in. I've not found royals to be anymore sensitive to most standard aquarium medications than other plecs. However! using both Melafix and Pimafix together is an indication of other problems. The indiscriminate use of medicines (including these) is a serious problem for most fishkeepers. Both are certainly less harmful than say, formalin or victoria green, but are hardly as innocuous as their labels suggest. Melafix certainly has NO practical anti-bacterial powers, and Pimafix is recommended for fungal infections (which are actually quite rare and quite serious in aquaria) - the combined use of both is a "shotgun" approach that probably accomplishes nothing. Ever seen Melafix in a tank? It foams and fractionates bubbles quite badly. When used in overstocked tanks, on tanks with high organic loads, or with BADLY DAMAGED fish it can lessen (in my studied opinion) the gill function of fish. In other words, it decreases the amount of oxygen a fish is able to breathe (probably by causing those same pesky, tiny bubbles to adhere to the gill filaments that remove oxygen from the water and make it available to the fish's bloodstream). Sorry for this length - I'm not certain if it will help determine the why of your fish's passing.

In a nutshell, newly acquired plecs should be quarantined alone, with cover and supplemental oxygen (via airstones or surface agitation), and allowed to feed near-continuously. The point I am making (if any, or maybe just poorly, or maybe just trying to make poorly) is that these fish are extremely stressed, and often simply allowing them time to recuperate alone and/or medicating judiciously and with cause is the best approach one can take. I'm sorry to hear of your loss - the fish was indisputably beautiful. Time to get another :)

J
Good post. i duno about melafix, but i know some meds like copperbased ich meds do become potent in the algae these fish graze on and do in fact poison it. anyway it's a shame but your right its not just royals that come in with sunken stomachs and not tip top shape, but its the way it goes for certainly as long as i can remember. I gotta say, i found the panaque sp. less hardier than say peckoltia or others, but that may just be a fluke. i never quarentined until i had one outbreak of ich and it wiped out my tank. if feeding continuously make sure you check water parameters, dont keep uneaten food in there for long, veggies or meat based foods.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Sorry for your loss, that was a great fish.

oscar300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
UK
Awsome info guys. I have read that the panaques actualy have a sybiote (spelling) that lives in there gut that lives on wood, in turn giving the fish good health. When the wood runs out or isnt there the fish perish. andregurov, I have heard your version as well about baryancistrus, GN's in particular. Must do some digging, I think your theory souns more plausable LOL

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Awsome info guys. I have read that the panaques actualy have a sybiote (spelling) that lives in there gut that lives on wood, in turn giving the fish good health. When the wood runs out or isnt there the fish perish. andregurov, I have heard your version as well about baryancistrus, GN's in particular. Must do some digging, I think your theory souns more plausable LOL
well im not cutting mine in half so that i can find out!!

oscar300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
UK
well im not cutting mine in half so that i can find out!!

Me either:ROFL: , this is my other one. When I say they had two XL's on the list I orderd them both expecting one loss. Unfortunatly I lost the bigger one....

andregurov

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
future wetlands, Louisiana
i know some meds like copperbased ich meds do become potent in the algae these fish graze on and do in fact poison it.
Algae? In a plec tank? I haven't seen any algae in my tanks in years :D It's almost like they eat it ...

All jesting aside, I am sure there is some validity to your statement. Don't get me started on copper, though, I can go off all day about its misuse and shortcomings. Foresight in getting 2 of those 330s ... kinda makes the loss a little more bearable, eh?

J

Freakdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sorry to hear about the loss of that fish mate:(

That really sucks...... like the King of suckiness from the planet suck.:(

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
well hopefully you'll get to see the other grow. well bud i got about 8 plecs in one tank, and i've got an algae crop. not all sp. eat algae, and mine def dont. then again i dont have royals...

oscar300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
UK
yep me two, my other tank is mainly hypancistrus......they aint touching anything green!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store