Large Custom Build

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
I am not done...the suppprts with 2x4 aregoing in...however i was going to use metal l brackets at the base of the posts instead of framming the bottom...but no ...not done....just progress....please keep the suggestions coming

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
All made good progress on the base this weekend..some pics

Eh your frame is plenty strong. I would put some connecting 2X4's or something on the bottom to keep the 4x4's true, but that frame is plenty strong enough for a 600 gallon tank.

Any professional deck builder would laugh at some of the DIY builds here. Look at this deck:

contemporary.jpg

It has what looks like 2x8s, 24" or 18" apart, spanning at least 6 feet, with the far side being supported only with 2 4x4s and a 4x6 spanning ~10 feet. Most decks shoot for 50 lbs/sq ft + safety margins. Your tank weighs about 100 lbs/sq ft, and doesn't require as much of a safety margin because your fish aren't 300lb fat people jumping up and down on a balcony. Your stand is easily 3 time stronger than that deck, and that deck passes safety inspections by cities and engineers.

I know better safe than sorry, but some people here get too uptight about this kind of stuff. Petco sells 125G stands that are basically held up by a few sheets of 1/2" particle board.

TL;DR, your stand looks good, can't wait to see the finished build. Nice dimensions for what you're trying to accomplish.

contemporary.jpg

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
I know there are lots of different opinions here..thats what makes it great..this being my first DIY build the nerves get the best of you...no feedback is bad feedback so please help out.

@PD..Thank you so much for taking the time to compose such a detailed response..i greatly appreciate it...and you are likely correct in my stand being enough,,however in true overbuild fashion i will add a little more...pics soon.

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Ok guys making some progress...i have decided to use the stacked 2 x 4 method for the walls....i added the additional bracing to the stand and both sheets of plywood are down. Starting walls tonight.

uploadfromtaptalk1415369746565.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1415369762174.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1415369776893.jpg

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
It has what looks like 2x8s, 24" or 18" apart, spanning at least 6 feet, with the far side being supported only with 2 4x4s and a 4x6 spanning ~10 feet. Most decks shoot for 50 lbs/sq ft + safety margins. Your tank weighs about 100 lbs/sq ft, and doesn't require as much of a safety margin because your fish aren't 300lb fat people jumping up and down on a balcony. Your stand is easily 3 time stronger than that deck, and that deck passes safety inspections by cities and engineers.
I'm not a professional, but for decks like that, professional deck builders should follow local building codes. If they used what you think they used, I see at least 3 code violations, if they were following my local codes. 1stly, if the deck is more than 6' off the ground, you can't use 4x4 wood posts; need to use either 6x6's or steel tubing which is anchored to concrete footings. If the joist span is 10 feet, the maximum span between posts with a 4x6 beam is only 6 feet. If it's a 4x8 beam and joist span is 10 feet, you need posts at least every 8 feet. So with only 2 posts, and a 10 foot joist span, you need to use at least a 4x10 beam, else it will fail inspection. The railing probably fails inspection also, since there aren't enough 4x4 posts, and that the posts aren't mounted to the joists. So that deck design, even if it was built by a professional, probably fails my local safety inspection.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
The spacing looks more than fine. Double 2x6's on a 4x4 post with 4 foot joist span is plenty good. With the double 3/4" thick ply on top, the bottom of the tank should be as strong as I've seen.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
So does that mean my aquarium stand passes or failes inspection??...

Yep it is looking good now buddy!!! Myself I would have put that 2x4 frame on the bottom on the outside of the 4x4's but it will still work fine!!! Keep us posted I can't wait to see it done now..

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm not a professional, but for decks like that, professional deck builders should follow local building codes. If they used what you think they used, I see at least 3 code violations, if they were following my local codes. 1stly, if the deck is more than 6' off the ground, you can't use 4x4 wood posts; need to use either 6x6's or steel tubing which is anchored to concrete footings. If the joist span is 10 feet, the maximum span between posts with a 4x6 beam is only 6 feet. If it's a 4x8 beam and joist span is 10 feet, you need posts at least every 8 feet. So with only 2 posts, and a 10 foot joist span, you need to use at least a 4x10 beam, else it will fail inspection. The railing probably fails inspection also, since there aren't enough 4x4 posts, and that the posts aren't mounted to the joists. So that deck design, even if it was built by a professional, probably fails my local safety inspection.
That's because you live up north. The North half of the US has much more strict structural codes, because of snow weight. I suspect this deck was built somewhere in the south. I have seen LOTS of similar decks around here.

Still, I think that deck could be built a little stronger, but my point was that I don't see why an aquarium stand needs to be built stronger than a deck for the same weight handling... and most stands here are overkill. But better safe than sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store