Large Custom Build

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
That's because you live up north. The North half of the US has much more strict structural codes, because of snow weight. I suspect this deck was built somewhere in the south. I have seen LOTS of similar decks around here.

Still, I think that deck could be built a little stronger, but my point was that I don't see why an aquarium stand needs to be built stronger than a deck for the same weight handling... and most stands here are overkill. But better safe than sorry.
It just bugged me how you described that deck, with 4x4 posts and 4x6 beam, and that professional deck builders would be laughing at our stands. To me it looked like the deck had two 6x6 posts and a 3-2x10 beam, which would pass the international residential code. Somebodies eyes are off. Either mine or yours. Other than the railing, that deck looked fine to me. I hope professionals aren't laughing, whether they are from the North or South. In the southern parts, hurricanes and tornadoes rip apart homes and decking more than the snow does up in the North.

If you were to buy a 300+ gallon monster aquarium directly from a reputable custom aquarium manufacturer, they'll probably fabricate the stand with steel square tubing, which would be stronger than most DIY wood stands or outdoor decks. With DIY it's very wise not to under-build or go with the minimum safety factors since it really doesn't cost much money to make a significant upgrade. Even if your flat broke you can probably find some scrap lumber for free somewhere to make a nice strong stand. Big box retailers skimp on the quality since they have competitive prices, lower profit margins, but deal in greater volumes. Those cheap stands have a very limited warranty and the company which sells them will have corporate lawyers to defend any liability claims. So you won't have much luck suing them when the stand fails. For some of us, it's a given that the stand will deal with uneven floors or moisture problems from either a sump under the tank, a flooded or leaky basement, or if we accidentally overfill the tank. Some of us have kids or pets crawling up or around the tanks also. Some of us may even need to get inside the tank to do some maintenance. So we build extra durable stands which can overcome about anything we can throw at them. It's not a laughing matter when dealing with the possibility of hundreds or thousands of gallons of water on the floor. Monster stands for monster tanks for monster fish should be just as strong or stronger than an ordinary outdoor deck.

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Hey guys - question... I am struggling on the bulkheads for the return on this setup ...my thought was to drill a hole on the front right side for the bulk head for the return...however the wall of this when completed will be 5 inches thick...I am having trouble locating the fittings that will cover that span.. any ideas...or I am just out in left field...

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Ok - so let the Bulk head fitting debate begin! -- Based on what I have learned today off the shelf standard bulkhead fittings are schedule 40.. fairly cheep . I was quoted 7.13 for a 1 1/2 fitting that span up to 1 3/4 inches requiring an OD hole at 2 1/2. To accomplish the same thing off the shelf at schedule 80 is approx...90$ or so.... I understand the difference between the two to be two fold - the amount of pressure and the amount of mechanical leverage. pressure - as calculated by the company I was talking to today for my application is something less that 2psi of head pressure. schedule 40 is rated well over that. As for the leverage portion - as long as you are not trying to absorb a great deal of movement over a long span of pipe coming out of the fitting you should be fine...as I will be dropping straight down from the stand pipes to the sump, there will be no mechanical leverage.

Thoughts - do you guys use schedule 40 or schedule 80?

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Ok, guys sorry for the slow progress, will be working today on the finishing the walls. I have spent most of my time recently on the plan...I am still struggling with the bulkhead fittings and help in that category would be appreciated.

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Finished all the cutting and got three more layers of the wall up. Also thought i would show where i left 3/4 of an inch for the exterior plywood.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1416280146916.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1416280169140.jpg

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
So i got a few more layers of the wall up tonight and i think i have an idea on the bulkheads...i have decided not sheet the outside of the tank on the right side since it wont be seen...i am thinking of leaving a gap in the 2 x 4 wall of about 4 inches wide and 6 inches tall...then after sheeting and water proofing the inside ..i will use the open space to place my bulkheads only having to span 3/4 of an inch....what do you guys think.....

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Ok...walls are done!...Sheeting the inside begins tonight...pond armor is here..ordering bulkheads and fiberglass today.

uploadfromtaptalk1418046419959.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1418046484751.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store