Leaving your fish's lights on all night!

John Rambo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Zagama Beach
I stay up late when Im not working, and some times I leave their light on all night. A few times its been left on for a few days. Even when its off some nights, a security light near the window shines light in one of my tanks for most the night. I havnt read any info about this. Does anyone know if this screws up cichilds?

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
It depends how many Red Bulls they drink! :D

SaltyCrak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
earth
I'm also a night owl, so my one tank's light is on most of the time. I have 2 oscars and 2 tire tracks in there. Is it a problem that the light is on so much? I'm also trying to grow the plants it there so i would like to have the light on as much as possible. Cheers

QueenslandeR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Queensland ~ Australia
I keep my lights on for only a few hours each night, during the day the tank is lit enough to see the fish and the can still see whats going on. I like to think that having the lights off at night helps them rest up a bit. Having your lights on all the time promotes the growth of algae in your tank. I have alot of anubias in my tanks which dont like intense lighting, too much can grow algae on their leaves which isn't good for the plant.

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
I have four lights on my dovi tank, I keep one light on 7 days a week 24 hours a day.

Been doing it for the entire time I have had them, over a year.

TrikkyMakk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Seeing as how they don't have eyelids I would think that at least 8 hours of darkness might help them a bit. Light and dark cycles help with the well being of most animals.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
that would be like you sleeping with the lights on everynight without ever turning them off. Your stressing your fish slowly but surely. Fish dont have lights hanging over their heads in the wild 24 hours a day so why would you think its a good idea to leave the lights on all the time? Turn them off during the day at least if your going to stay up all night.

Reverse whats the point of leaving a light on in the dovii tank? Other than wasting energy that is.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I have the lights in my fishroom on timers...to simulate the natural day/night cycle...and to cut down on energy bills.

Keeping the lights on for 24-hours per day is not good for your fish. Disruptions to the day/night cycle have been shown to influence hormone levels, ability to synthesize proteins, and regulate body functions.

Here's an exerpt from an article (http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/DNA/clockgenes/):

Living organisms evolved an internal biological clock, called the Circadian rhythm, to help their bodies adapt to the daily cycle of day and night (light and dark) as the Earth rotates every 24 hours. The term 'circadian' comes from the Latin words for about (circa) a day (diem).

Circadian rhythms are controlled by "clock genes" that carry the genetic instructions to produce proteins. The levels of these proteins rise and fall in rhythmic patterns. These oscillating biochemical signals control various functions, including when we sleep and rest, and when we are awake and active. Circadian rhythms also control body temperature, heart activity, hormone secretion, blood pressure, oxygen consumption, metabolism and many other functions.

Daily cycles also regulate the levels of substances in our blood, including red blood cells, blood sugar, gases and ions such as potassium and sodium. Our internal clocks may even influence our mood, particularly in the form of wintertime depression known as seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
A biological clock has three parts: a way to receive light, temperature or other input from the environment to set the clock; the clock itself, which is a chemical timekeeping mechanism; and genes that help the clock control the activity of other genes.
In the last few decades, scientists have discovered the genes responsible for running the internal clocks: period (per), clock (clk), cycle (cyc), timeless (tim), frequency (frq), doubletime (dbt) and others.
Genes that control circadian rhythms have been found in organisms ranging from people to mice, fish, fruit flies, plants, molds and even single-celled, blue-green algae known as cyanobacteria.

danny2875

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
Astoria, NY
Good info. Maybe that should be a sticky...

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
mine are all on timers, i have them on 2-5 hours a day, some of them i never put the lights on, unless photographing fish, or looking at something which i cant see as clearly with out lights.

i suppose having the lights on all the time could affect the fish... giving them alot more fatigue, possibly resulting in laziness??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store