LED lighting - what are my options?

revival

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
In a dream
Chefken;4840003; said:
Nope. The double bright by itself barely lights the tank at all.

Here are some with just the double bright and three sets of moonlights....two white and one blue.....this shows the massive difference from just one Ecoxotic module!!!
Thx for the pictures Chefken. See im confused because in the other thread with the review on here the lights are really bright and the OP has a huge tank and it seems to light up the tank more than enough. I think we need more pictures from people who have these lights.:popcorn:

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
revival;4840730;4840730 said:
Thx for the pictures Chefken. See im confused because in the other thread with the review on here the lights are really bright and the OP has a huge tank and it seems to light up the tank more than enough. I think we need more pictures from people who have these lights.:popcorn:
No problem. Check out the reviews of the Ecoxotic Modules....not the 600. fixtures on www.marinedepot.com My pics show the module mounted in my canopy...You can see the difference the massive 12 watts of light makes.....amazing!

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Yeah I agree it seems like some people are really happy with the marineland fixtures and it lights their tanks well and some people are extremely unimpressed with them and they seem to not light well at all. Decisions decisions...

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I would buy two or three of the Modules if you have a canopy. You can always add more as i am doing. They are 95. each!

I put my double bright on my sons 40 gallon breeder....lit it pretty good. The Reef Capable models are better from what i have seen. At least the 48" light is 48" long! The lights are not bright enough for a deep tank. The single module i run is growing algae in my tank all the way to the bottom. Nothing on the doublebright only side. The pendants i have seen are great but I needed my lights to fit into my canopy!

3dees

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 23, 2010
Chicago suburb
Jose, go to Catalina lights site. I have the 48" green light. it has two 54w t8's, a row of moon lights, and two rows of led's with 76 bulbs in each row. the led's by themselves will not do much good for plants. I run one of the t8's for 6 hours for the floating plants. the led's are on for 12 hours. my wilds look awesome with the led's. brings out the blues really well. a bit expensive but you have the advantage of the t8" if you decide to go back to plants. great guys to work with. they installed hooks so I could hang the fixture, and they changed the switches so I could run the led's and t8's on separate timers. did'nt charge any extra.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
aclockworkorange;4839354; said:
I've been considering LED for quite a while now, just have kind of been waiting around to see what prices would drop to and what sorts of options there would be.

I'm going to be really excited when LED finally gets low enough in price to easily do high light planted and coral applications without flinching when I go to grab my wallet. In 10 years LED is probably going to be cheap as dirt.
I think LED will replace 90% of all household and office lighting in 10yrs. I received my led track lights yesterday. I'll post pic's later
cichlid2006;4839403; said:
I got curious and thought I would let you know that there are 30w and 50w versions of the 10w module mentioned above http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/index.php?cPath=26_234 and http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HQ-30W-Watt-S...378?pt=UK_Garden_Lighting&hash=item5196d21542
If I can get it easily here in the UK then you will definitely get it in the USA.
I'm hoping the 10w will work on my 30" deep tank, but if not I was hoping to get a bigger one. It's all speculation for me until I see the 10w's on my tank.

ArttyFish;4839103; said:
Danger Chicken, make sure you order the bright white 6000K spectrum LED Modules. The other cool white or soft white looks ugly yellow. So be 100% sure you order the 6000K version!!! I'm glad to have started the LED light revolution from a fixture I found at a Burlingame LED wholesalers Warehouse.
Yeah I wrote a note explaining what color I wanted and the several mis-shipments lately. I told him if I like these I'll be buying more. Hopefully they'll send the right ones becuase UPS usually takes a week to get to me from the west coast. I was ready to plug them in on Friday night when I sent the order.

aclockworkorange;4839413; said:
Interesting... now should these single bigger lights be hung like a MH or what?
I think Arttyfish has his laying on the tops, but it can't say for sure. His video is in the piranaha secton. For my 30" seep tank I'm going to hang like MH pendants. But before I do that I'm going to carry them around to every tank to see how they look.

Chefken;4840003; said:
Nope. The double bright by itself barely lights the tank at all.

Here are some with just the double bright and three sets of moonlights....two white and one blue.....this shows the massive difference from just one Ecoxotic module!!!
did you buy the 36-48" model? That would make a huge difference on a 30" tank.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
I just got my 4x54w t5 unit repaired. I am sort of hoping it breaks again now I have discovered these LED's so I can claim a refund and buy the LED lights. It would save me a small fortune in electricity.

Whoever decides to use these can I please ask that you do a thread with the build and specifically the results of whatever wattage you go for. I would definitely like to see that.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
3dees;4842048;4842048 said:
Jose, go to Catalina lights site. I have the 48" green light. it has two 54w t8's, a row of moon lights, and two rows of led's with 76 bulbs in each row. the led's by themselves will not do much good for plants. I run one of the t8's for 6 hours for the floating plants. the led's are on for 12 hours. my wilds look awesome with the led's. brings out the blues really well. a bit expensive but you have the advantage of the t8" if you decide to go back to plants. great guys to work with. they installed hooks so I could hang the fixture, and they changed the switches so I could run the led's and t8's on separate timers. did'nt charge any extra.
Yeah I love Catalina, I've purchased two fixtures from them. Best part is, I'm local so I just drive down and pick up the fixture! Got a link to the one you bought? Didn't see that one on their site..

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
There's a ton of these flood lamps on eBay, but many of them come from Hong Kong. They even have the 30w models!!

These look pretty cool, probably not as bright as the 10w single-LED lamp though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/White-6-LED-6W-...245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f06ea789d

20w, $37 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/20W-LED-1600LM-...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb4b38b90

50w, $145 shipped!!!!!!!! :eek: This bad boy puts about 4000 lumens, this same as a 48" T5HO bulb!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/110VAC-50W-Whit...650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5a78e5f2

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
I saw a friends 8x2x2 tank last night with two 24-36' double brights and it looked great! Pleanty bright. I was able to take pic's without a flash. The 36-48" has twice the LEDS as the 24-36'. I'm certian the 36-48" would work great for a 30" tank. Very clean crisp light.

Here are the track lighting led's. I think these could easily and cheaply be made into tank lights for smaller tanks. 3w spot light 6000~7500k
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140479036264&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Here is the cabinet with three 50w halogens.

led 3.5w, halogen 50w, led 3.5w

10.5 watt LED. The color doesn't work for the cabinet but the fish looked good. I'll probably get some warm whites for the accent lighting. The halogens put off so much heat I couldn't run them in the summer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store