LEDs or T5s

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
And then we have the effect of green glass........

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Howdy,

There's a bit more going into the cost benefit calculation than electricity costs. Consider price up front and replacement costs as well.

I know that LEDs last longer than bulbs, but keep in mind that a burnt out LED unit is trash. You can replace a burnt bulb for a few $$.
Life span of an LED is massively influenced by operating temperature. Though they are often referred to as "cold light", they do generate heat which in turn harms the unit. If you get LEDs, make sure to have it not enclosed in a hood.

Good luck, keep us posted on how you decide, and how it works out

HarleyK
yup. I bought 3 50W LED's for my tank, 3 years later only one is still working. my first T5 I bought 10 years ago, and have changed the lamp once. The T5 has actually come out to be cheaper.

I'm actually thinking of trying one of those LED 5 meter strip lights next, but I'm worried about getting screwed on the longevity again.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Add computer fans. Cheap and effective.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I much prefer leds over other lighting especially for color and shimmer. Gives a very natural effect I havent replicated with any other type of bulb.
+1

John (Jc1119) turned me on to the look of Aqueon LED modular lights. Fairly inexpensive (I got mine on sale) and easy to tweak with more modular tubes if one wants to go brighter. Myself I prefer the single tube in most of my tanks. Not for everyone, but the lower light shimmer look is exactly what I was looking for. Bonus is NO algae, which is something that I always had issues with running T5's, even for just 4-5 hrs a day.

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
That's great to hear. Could you specify what you had before, what specifically is better than,or equal to, your previous lighting?
What size tanks do you have (height) because that's one if the things I've heard about LEDs that they don't penetrate deep enough, at least in tall, planted tanks.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I was running 4x 48" t5 fixtures. The tanks range from 21" to 48" deep and the 4' deep tank is my 1400. It has 2 6' beamsworks and 2 4' evos. http://youtu.be/rQbFSnWG0Os

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
T5 --- does a better ˙job in bringing out the colors on my African cichlid Haps and peacocks

LED --- energy efficient, depending on the model, customizable.

I use both...

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I'm an led fan

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im sick of replacing fluorescent bulbs.

I got my feet wet with LEDs. Never going back, unless you count my planted tank.

uploadfromtaptalk1413615806978.jpg
My 75g african cichlid tank BEFORE.

(Full of sponge filters and crap - in the middle of upgrading to a larger tank)

uploadfromtaptalk1413615851969.jpg
AFTER

went from a pair of 18" oldschool AGA fluorescent fixtures with newer GE aquarium bulbs to a 48-60" Marineland doublebright LED fixture.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store