LEDs or T5s

professor_rob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
+1

John (Jc1119) turned me on to the look of Aqueon LED modular lights. Fairly inexpensive (I got mine on sale) and easy to tweak with more modular tubes if one wants to go brighter. Myself I prefer the single tube in most of my tanks. Not for everyone, but the lower light shimmer look is exactly what I was looking for. Bonus is NO algae, which is something that I always had issues with running T5's, even for just 4-5 hrs a day.
Contemplating going to LED lighting soon. Just curious why you say "bonus is No Algae"
Is this just because you have less intensive lighting levels? Or another reason??
Can anyone expand on that at all? Hate algae and it is a big pain to clean on my tall and inaccessible tank. I have my t5's on not long at all and can have algae issues. Not as bad now due to auto water changer installed, but too scared to increase lighting duration.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Contemplating going to LED lighting soon. Just curious why you say "bonus is No Algae"
Is this just because you have less intensive lighting levels? Or another reason??
Can anyone expand on that at all? Hate algae and it is a big pain to clean on my tall and inaccessible tank. I have my t5's on not long at all and can have algae issues. Not as bad now due to auto water changer installed, but too scared to increase lighting duration.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
It's only because the aqueon led out of the box is on the dimmer side.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Correct, I run 48" fixtures on my 6 ft tanks and those Aqueon fixtures are only 7 watts.

Prior to these fixtures I had 48" twin tube HO T5's that were 54W each. So 7W LED vs 108W T5's. The Hagen HO fixtures were given to me for free, but even for free in a non planted tank all they did was grow algae. I still get a very small amount of algae growth with my LED's, but very minimal. And of course I'm only pulling 7W now, instead of 108W.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Does anybody know if there is any hanging kits for the Current usa orbit Freshwater plus led? I wanted to put them on my big tanks but I want to hang them as I clean the lids every time I change water and didn't want to have to move the lights off every time in order to do so.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Would you guys recommend Beamsworks or the Current USA fixtures? I know the Current Usa are dimmable, but what about light quality and lumens/$?

Great thread, and just in time! My latest videos on LEDs!

My Experience with a little custom DIY LED (sort of)

[YT]NyDMCOap_jA[/YT]

[YT]uONiU4vML4c[/YT]

My thoughts on LEDs.

Very expensive if you want controllable LEDs. Very expensive. They save you money in power form running them.

Visually there is no comparison. Unless you are talking about a metal halide T5 combo (and even then...), or the sun, LEDs can't be beat.

Entry level LEDs are not controllable, so you better be happy with the color they give you. I am for the most part.

Mark Allred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2015
Spring Creek, Nevada
I have built LED setups on three of my planted tanks. Love them!
Here are some pics of the 125 lights, LEDs mounted on 4 pieces of aluminun square tubing.
Forced fan cooling. Light assembly is mounted on modified drawer sliders, so lights can be rolled to the back for ease of maintenance.
77Cree 3 watt LEDs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store