Leopard Ctenopoma

sauroid

Candiru
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
somewhere in asia
i've had mine for four years and still as lovely as ever. i got it when it was only 1", and now it is 5.5" long. i fed it mosquito larvae, black worms and baby guppies when it was a baby. now it eats krill, bigger feeders, etc.

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Thank you for the replies and pictures. I have moved my Leopard Ctenopomas in a tank earlier with a setup of bogwoods and a rock. Will get plants tommorrow, they seem very happy, just about an inch as I checked again..very tiny.

I spent quite some time with them and they felt ok. The best thing is that every one of them has their own personality. One of them did not get with its group, instead it was just swimming against the tank playing on its own. The rest were checking out the environment, hiding places etc.

Then I fed them frozen bloodworms and they ate just fine. However, the sad news is that I only have 5 Leos left :(...when I checked the bowl earlier today to transfer them, the water had an unpleasant odour to it and there it was, one laying dead. I don't know why, it sucked...what a loss...

The 5 is doing great, I may get another to make it 6 again.;) Glad to see you guys having experience with this awesome fish. Wish I could take pictures for you..

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Mines 6" now. I've no plants at all in the tank-it stays near a piece of wood but becomes more active towards the end of the day.
Eats ( alot-its belly gets huge!) market prawn, earthworms and cockles. Never shown an interest in frozen fish at all.
Generally peaceful but has occasional scraps with my 6" Silver Dat.
One of my favourite in the tank-always reminds me of a Grouper when it feeds.
ROB

Razman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
NoVa
i love these little guys, i dont have any yet but im planning on getting 2-3 once i get a 40gal. my petsmart has tiny 1/2-1" ones all the time. i gotta get them.:irked:

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
All have been moved to a proper tank with bogwoods, rock and an Almond Leaf, they like the leaf very much that most get under it while the others hide under the boogwoods and near the rock.

I baught another earlier making it 6 of them again. They seem happy and are not running away from me.:)

sauroid

Candiru
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
somewhere in asia
yes, almond leaves are perfect for anabantoids. i use them too. the tannin darkens the water and makes it comfortable for shy, slow moving fish such as african gouramis.

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Since I have placed the Almond Leaf, the water really tanned and appeared to be thick. To prevent from any harm, I did about 80% water changing. I thought they would flee freaking out when I do the water changes but amazingly they were just calm, some even came close to me watching what I was doing lol, it was really funny to see that. Others were just naturally hiding. They were just calm and nice.:headbang2

Razman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
NoVa
:irked:ive gotta get a few!!:irked:

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
While all of my Leopards are doing well, one of them has been showing a strange behaviour. This is the one that was lonely and playing on its own, it ate just fine the first day. The second day it was only at the surface breathing air all the time. Now it is panting...hmm..what could be the reason to fish panting? Checking online...

edit: I just gave some parasite treatment...should I do it separately? I hope it doesn't effect the rest that are fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store