Lets Show Off those Polypterus!

Weasel F.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
Amarillo,Texas
Hey all, I love these guys and gals. I've kept them before but do to some tank troubles was unable to keep them. So I have a uncle in the cattle buisness and ownes a ranch in south Texas. Well he has 10 freashwater stock pounds. Where the pounds are fed by under ground springs. So he asked me a couple years back if I thought they'd live and bred in there.The ponds stay at 79oF year round so I knew that was good and the PH and Gh of the water is perfect for them. I told him all we had to do was just try it and see. Tha was 3yrs ago. Well I went down there this past month and seen frist hand that it did work. I got 3 out of there 22'' to 27'' in size. i know I even seen one at the surface that was a easy 3 foot in size. Yes I know " BULL CRAP." LOL I'm going back down there in the spring and he wants to drain the pounds down to see just how many there is in there and the size.
I have no clue as to what speices we put inthe ponds but I beleave them to be senegal,endli endli. I remenber the one I got off Aquabid and payed a nie price for a pr. of them. I know that it started with a E and that was 2yrs ago. Anyway here's the largest one i brought home for the Oscar tank a month back. I want to say it's a senegal. But I'm not sure. If we drain the pond and find that it worked like he hoped. He's going to add a few differnt spices and a couple of the harder to get ones this summer. So here's to keeping our fingers crossed. On the large one I seen . I know things always look larger then what they are. Like the old saying I caought a fish this big. LOL it's always biger the secound and even thrid time you tell the storie right? LOLhere's the larger one i got home. I hve 5 more that's just under 3''. So we knw that the little project worked. So maybe in another yr we can be selling some of the hard to get ones cheap. Fingers crossed.

CDM ?4U I don't know if I'm seeing this right or not but. Your lighten on your picture is it coming from the bottom of the tank? I love your colloction and hopfully mine will be growing really soon. As i have placed a bid on one on Aquabid today to help and jump start it.

elbeatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
here's a few of my boys and girls, had a hard time getting pics of my bigger ornate, the pic I do have though she (big m'am, formerly little m'am 10", shes younger than the senegals) got a huge feeder intended for the clown knife, but the rest are senegals ranging from 5" - 8" and my baby albinos in the 10, they're about 3", still kinda timid.

albinos.jpg

attack.jpg

Officially big m'am.JPG

m'am.jpg

Reactions: Wannabe Poly Guy

elbeatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
heres a few more, when I saw those I figured I should clean the glass, it was messin' with the auto focus, oh yeah and the big ornate is actually 8", I measured, my memory and hand measuring proved to be charitable lol:screwy:

sly.jpg

smile.jpg

m'am flash.jpg

Reactions: Wannabe Poly Guy

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
and to think i used to hate bichirs when i was a teenager. My local lfs would call senagalus "dragon fish " .. These pics are very inspiring.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
is300zx;667710; said:
here's my new bichir. it has irregular scale pattern.
whoa, your bichir looks inside out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store