LFS Alligator Gar

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
Love the price L O L ! I'd be lucky to get $25 for mine at 16 inches. Not that it matters. He's perfectly happy in a 300 for now.

I don't know what gar go for... I will say this he had EBJD's for 50.00 a pop at 1 1/2 inches!!!! Last one I bought I think it was 15.99. I so believe his prices are high lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I would say it really depends on the body of water they are in, I can't imagine how huge the ones that populated any of the great lakes could have gotten if they stayed healthy and full, I wouldn't doubt 24 feet in there, probably 90+ years old. In some river system around 12-16 feet max is what was usually found in my research on the specie, but in a massive body of water like Lake Ontario, who knows. Proof is found with lake sturgeon, in 2011 someone caught a 18 footer in Lake Erie, the smallest and most probaby dirtiest great lake. They are both very ancient fish w/ similar growth patterns

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
didn't we say the gator gars were extinct in the great lakes? lol

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
fro rly? that's why I was using the past tense haha I know this, they were there at one point though, and those were probably the biggest of them were the ones who spent their lives in the great lakes

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
A 24 footer seems to be over exaggerated. The biggest one caught recently was less than 8 feet. i can't imagine one 3x bigger. Of course the true monster were already fished out decades ago.

All the pics I found were gators less than 10 feet. Anybody found any pics of 15 foot+ gars?

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
They had a real gator gar at my Lfs down here in Nor Cali. Much more rounded snout real thick body. Dude was tryna sell it to me for a buck fifty.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
They had a real gator gar at my Lfs down here in Nor Cali. Much more rounded snout real thick body. Dude was tryna sell it to me for a buck fifty.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
all true gar are illegal in Cali!
and that fish is a true alligator gar, it doesn't look like a YOY(young of the year) fish, this fish should be over 1 year old and might be stunned if I'm not wrong.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
A 24 footer seems to be over exaggerated. The biggest one caught recently was less than 8 feet. i can't imagine one 3x bigger. Of course the true monster were already fished out decades ago.

All the pics I found were gators less than 10 feet. Anybody found any pics of 15 foot+ gars?
that's my point, the 20 footers were probably long gone before cameras came around. In such huge bodies of water though I wouldn't doubt it. In the backwaters of texas on the Trinity some guy got either a 12 or 14 footer and had it taxidermied, its on the wall in the gator gar episode of river monsters. That's the biggest most recent wild catch I believe. I saw the trinity in houston and was talking to local fishermen, its not a big river system (as in depth and width) so the fact a 12-14 footer grew in there... imagine if that fish was let to live in a lake the size of Ontario for another 20 years, I wouldn't doubt it would be around 20 feet

JwHiser13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Have know idea what kind of gar it is. That's what they are selling it as. They did have a smaller Florida gar for sale as well. No I'm not buying it. I have no means to house it down the road.

It was very tempting when the kid told me he would give me a RTC for free. That's right I said free. It has a messed up mouth. Looks like a birth defect. But for free. I love those fish, but again no means to house it.

Man I hear ya bro! I'd love to keep the Ali gars as well! I grew an RTC out to about a foot once for my buddy's lake on his property and can say it was ALOT of fun! That free offer though it'd be really hard to pass up lol.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JwHiser13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
that's for sure a gator, small gators have the spots, and the definition of the snout and face is where you can tell the difference. Beautiful fish, I hope to be able to house one in a pond someday!

Would def be a blast raising these fish! It's fun just to imagine building the enclosure lol! Fish nerd I know lol!

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
Man I hear ya bro! I'd love to keep the Ali gars as well! I grew an RTC out to about a foot once for my buddy's lake on his property and can say it was ALOT of fun! That free offer though it'd be really hard to pass up lol.

I would have jumped on the RTC if I know somebody wanted one for a pond or something. I think they where a customer drop off. one was 9 inches and the goofy mouth one was 6 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store