LFS Alligator Gar

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
My understanding is...true Alligator Gars can get to be 7-8 feet long...and really large wild specimens can get to be 12-24 feet long. If the gar pictured above is truly an Alligator Gar...then at 15" it is only a "baby". Otherwise...it is probably a Florida Gar or a Spotted Gar...which get to be around the 2-3 foot range.
24 feet is ridicules. They have NEVER gotten this big. You can hardly find fish over 6-7 feet in the wild cuz of overfishing and killing...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
24 feet is ridicules. They have NEVER gotten this big. You can hardly find fish over 6-7 feet in the wild cuz of overfishing and killing...

I take back my comment but i highly doubt it that is the size of a great white shark and is bigger then arapaimas to...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
To be fair, many giant specimens of known giant freshwater fishes were long gone. There is few historic accounts of blue and flathead catfish being 300-500lbs. Lake/white sturgeons are so large that you need a team of horses to pull them out of the rivers. Giant muskellunges that can put the world record muskellunge in shame when it comes to the size. Paddlefish got even bigger in historic times than the present times. Even bull sharks were once a part of Minnesota's fauna but not anymore. It's hard to prove that an alligator gar do not get up to 20 foot long in historic times. But times has changed over the years.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Yes, we know NOW they don't get that big. What your missing is the key thing your pointing out which is they get killed before they can get there. I agree 20'+ alligator gars does seem a plausible thought. In the great lakes, I don't doubt that at one point they would've been that big..

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I just read up on Missouri's giant white catfishes that gets up to 150lbs+ a little while ago.

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
Well, just for the "anectdotal evidence" crowd, I've seen quite a few caught over 8 feet in the last few years. Several were 8' 2" or 8' 3", the longest was 8' 11", but was post-spawn so it didn't weigh over 280 pounds. However, I know of one that was caught some years ago by commercial fishermen that weighed over 350, and I know of two others that were reportedly over 10 feet (in the last two years, not a hundred years ago). All of these were from the Trinity River in Texas. Then there's the story of the two bowfishermen who were shooting at a fish in a flooded pasture, but could only manage to bounce an arrow off the fish without being able to penetrate the scales. They say the fence posts were ten feet apart, and the fish extended several feet beyond each post, making the fish between 14 and 16 feet long. They only whisper the story to avoid being ridiculed, but I know both the guys well, and believe that monster is still out there somewhere...

JwHiser13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Well, just for the "anectdotal evidence" crowd, I've seen quite a few caught over 8 feet in the last few years. Several were 8' 2" or 8' 3", the longest was 8' 11", but was post-spawn so it didn't weigh over 280 pounds. However, I know of one that was caught some years ago by commercial fishermen that weighed over 350, and I know of two others that were reportedly over 10 feet (in the last two years, not a hundred years ago). All of these were from the Trinity River in Texas. Then there's the story of the two bowfishermen who were shooting at a fish in a flooded pasture, but could only manage to bounce an arrow off the fish without being able to penetrate the scales. They say the fence posts were ten feet apart, and the fish extended several feet beyond each post, making the fish between 14 and 16 feet long. They only whisper the story to avoid being ridiculed, but I know both the guys well, and believe that monster is still out there somewhere...
Agreed! A lot of people have no clue about what it's bigger in Texas means! I my self have personally seen AGars in the 8' range! There are lots of areas in Texas that can house this big fish and are very remote!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store