lightning trout

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
Due to their aggression or the numbers?
im guessing numbers, I've never heard of a monster aggressive trout population killing off all other fish species, lol. btw, why isn't this in the native lounge?

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
im guessing numbers, I've never heard of a monster aggressive trout population killing off all other fish species, lol. btw, why isn't this in the native lounge?
Tiger trout are sterile btws... They can't breed in the wild or in captivity. They're a brook and brown trout hybrid. Finding them in the wild is rare and inconsistent.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
Tiger trout are sterile btws... They can't breed in the wild or in captivity. They're a brook and brown trout hybrid. Finding them in the wild is rare and inconsistent.

i was implying that the brook and brown population keep reproducing with each other rather than tiger trout breeding with each other. if you assume that I'm stupid I've kept them before

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
i was implying that the brook and brown population keep reproducing with each other rather than tiger trout breeding with each other. if you assume that I'm stupid I've kept them before
Sorry if I came across like that my apologies if I did. I just wanted to throw that out there since it was said there was a problem, not that there were wild interbreeding populations. Tiger trout are really cool. I've been pretty interested in them. They are however not a hybrid btwn two trout species but a hybrid btwn a char and a trout. The reason brook trout don't tolerate warmer temps than other trout is that they're actually a char. Pretty cool hybrid eh? :)

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Due to their aggression or the numbers?
Their aggression. Here the dnr tried to add tigers and browns alike in with brook trout and rainbows. They had issues with them cohabing and they ended up putting browns in some rivers with a few rainbows but overall begin a segregation of them. Also I don't think the tigers really took hold from what I was hearing so they stopped stocking them. They may still do a few stockings but I am pretty sure they stopped from the issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
Their aggression. Here the dnr tried to add tigers and browns alike in with brook trout and rainbows. They had issues with them cohabing and they ended up putting browns in some rivers with a few rainbows but overall begin a segregation of them. Also I don't think the tigers really took hold from what I was hearing so they stopped stocking them. They may still do a few stockings but I am pretty sure they stopped from the issues.

thats interesting….as mn said i don't really think that their is that much of an aggression difference between various trout species. how come they are so much more aggressive than the already established browns and brooks i wonder?

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
Sorry if I came across like that my apologies if I did. I just wanted to throw that out there since it was said there was a problem, not that there were wild interbreeding populations. Tiger trout are really cool. I've been pretty interested in them. They are however not a hybrid btwn two trout species but a hybrid btwn a char and a trout. The reason brook trout don't tolerate warmer temps than other trout is that they're actually a char. Pretty cool hybrid eh? :)

don't worry man i overreacted. i just thought you were assuming i was dumb and didn't know that. and yes, indeed they are a very cool hybrid

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I remember here in mn they were having troubles with tigers.

we don't stock tiger trout in MN due to the brown trout being aggressive in the hatcheries and that tiger trout have high death rates and it is expensive to making tiger trout into triploids to improve their survivability.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole

I worked for DNR and we do not stock Tiger trout at all. The biggest issue with tiger trout is their survivability and it is very expensive to making them into triploid to boost up the survivability in wild and in hatcheries. Without heat shocking, their survivability may be low as 9% to 29% where with a treatment their survivability may be up to 95%. That's why very few hatcheries selling tiger trout. If they do sell tiger trout, its usually tiploid tiger trout and not diploid tigers. Also Brown's aggression wasn't the reason why other trout populations are declining. In fact it was caused by human activities which can degrade the habitats and increase the water temperatures. That's why browns and stocked rainbows can be found in only degraded brook trout habitats. Browns can tolerate slightly warmer water temperatures better than brookies.

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Here in Pa we have lots of tigers. There one lake i know that was stocked with browns a long time ago and its fed by two creeks that meet up about 200yd above the lake. in the creeks there is brook trout and the area were they meet up there is tons of tigers. Also there are rainbows below the overflow. the rainbows cant get into the lake because its a 20 foot difference in water levels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store