Lionfish in fresh water?

The thing is, i'm sure that many saltwater fish could be "weaned" onto freshwater with some sort of electrolyte treatment. The problem is, i'd wager a bet that those saltwater come freshwater fish will have tons of health concerns and won't live out their full potential age span.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That is very bad news. That means more restrictions and state bans on the lionfish. We know what happened to the snakeheads.
I can imagine a scenario in which the only lion fish that are to enter the hobby in Florida would be those that are locally collected,after the stock that the shops and suppliers have runs out.So there would still be a supply of them.I have kept saltwater fish in the past and I've had a few volitans in my tanks so I don't really believe in trying to acclimatize saltwater fish to fresh.If I want to go back to salt I'll do that but as far as the invasive lion fish go I wouldn't be opposed to trying the experiment.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
1.005?

And they remain healthy.mwould love to see the girls interview...

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I can imagine a scenario in which the only lion fish that are to enter the hobby in Florida would be those that are locally collected,after the stock that the shops and suppliers have runs out.So there would still be a supply of them.I have kept saltwater fish in the past and I've had a few volitans in my tanks so I don't really believe in trying to acclimatize saltwater fish to fresh.If I want to go back to salt I'll do that but as far as the invasive lion fish go I wouldn't be opposed to trying the experiment.
I believe there was a post on MFK recently about a ban on lionfish in FL. I don't remember the specifics of it but I think there is a ban in place for importing lion fish.

I agree I also don't condone acclimatizing any SW fish to FW or the other way around. I do think it is an interesting experiment though.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Yep. They are banned in Florida. You can only keep what you got or what you catch.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
The thing is, i'm sure that many saltwater fish could be "weaned" onto freshwater with some sort of electrolyte treatment. The problem is, i'd wager a bet that those saltwater come freshwater fish will have tons of health concerns and won't live out their full potential age span.
Almost all sw fish can be weaned to very light brackish water. There is a technique to get rid of marine ich called hyposalinity which requires you to slowly drop the salinity from 1.024 all the way down to 1.008. I've used this technique before and it works pretty well but the fish are only kept at that salinity for about 2 months max then it's raised back up. As for long term, I don't believe it would work out so well for majority of marine fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I sure am inclined to test this.

The difficult part will be the PH, considering my water and my set ups....

I can do a tanganikan tank for a lionfish, though....just need some heavy buffer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store