live feeder preperation, what do you do?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
RD Thank you very much for taking the time to post this information

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No problem, glad to help.

And for those that feel that fish from the LFS aren't a great risk when it comes to transferring pathogens to their personal stock, consider this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23294440

Imported ornamental fish are colonized with antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Rose S, Hill R, Bermudez LE, Miller-Morgan T.
SourceDepartment of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, USA; Department of Microbiology, College of Science, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, USA.

Abstract
There has been growing concern about the overuse of antibiotics in the ornamental fish industry and its possible effect on the increasing drug resistance in both commensal and pathogenic organisms in these fish. The aim of this study was to carry out an assessment of the diversity of bacteria, including pathogens, in ornamental fish species imported into North America and to assess their antibiotic resistance. Kidney samples were collected from 32 freshwater ornamental fish of various species, which arrived to an importing facility in Portland, Oregon from Colombia, Singapore and Florida. Sixty-four unique bacterial colonies were isolated and identified by PCR using bacterial 16S primers and DNA sequencing. Multiple isolates were identified as bacteria with potential to cause disease in both fish and humans. The antibiotic resistance profile of each isolate was performed for nine different antibiotics. Among them, cefotaxime (16% resistance among isolates) was the antibiotic associated with more activity, while the least active was tetracycline (77% resistant). Knowing information about the diversity of bacteria in imported ornamental fish, as well as the resistance profiles for the bacteria will be useful in more effectively treating clinical infected fish, and also potential zoonoses in the future.

© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

Fancy fish could harbor dangerous bacteria
by Rose Eveleth February 6, 2013 03:00am PST

Around the world, private collectors and businesses maintain beautiful fish tanks stocked with colorful corals, speedy little cichlids and stately angelfish. But a hidden danger lurks: many fish that wind up in aquariums carry antibiotic-resistant bacteria that could pose a threat not just to a billion-dollar industry but to human health.

A recent study published in the Journal of Fish Diseases measured 32 different ornamental fish that entered the port in Portland, Ore., from places such as Colombia, Singapore and Florida. The specimen were found to carry 64 different bacterial colonies, and many were resistant to antibiotics to varying degrees. The bottom line: not only were the fish more susceptible to infection, but their bacteria harbored genes that could make them immune to drugs - genes they can pass along.

Resistance to antibiotics can develop in a number of ways, but the most common culprit is overtreatment, a practice commonly used when fish are transported.

The chain of events is pretty easy to follow. The majority of ornamental fish start their lives in Asia and other exotic locations and are shipped all across the globe. Those trips aren’t a walk in the park for the animals, says Luiz Bermudez, a microbiologist at Oregon State University, and one of the researchers on the study.

“It’s stressful even if we humans get in an airplane and fly for 14 hours,” he says, “so when a fish gets to a destination, many times the fish presents with a kind of stress-related disease.”

To prevent stocks from going belly-up before they reach their destination, many importers often proactively treat their catch with antibiotics. That, says Bermudez, is a big driver of the antibiotic resistance his team found in the study.

How antibiotic resistance spreads

It’s not just fish who might be in trouble, either. That’s because a resistant bacterial strain can pass its resistance to another species, Bermudez says.

So, in theory, an antibiotic-resistant fish bacteria could transfer the set of genes that confer that resistance to a bacteria that infects humans, Bermudez says. That means a human bacteria that was formerly felled by certain antibiotics would suddenly become immune to them.

Complicating matters is the fact that many antibiotics used to fight fish bacteria are the same ones widely used on humans. Among the antibiotics that the fish bacteria were best at warding off is Tetracycline, a drug used to treat everything from acne to rosacea to cholera in humans. Up to 77 percent of the studied specimens were resistant to this drug.

While it is unlikely that these bacteria will be transmitted from fish to humans, both fish owners and importers should be extra careful. “If you’re going to clean a fish tank, you should be aware that there is a possibility that you’re going to get some infection,” he says.

Aside from the health implications, antibiotic resistance could be a drain on the bottom line for aquarium suppliers. The global market for ornamental fish is worth an estimated $15 billion each year. The world spends $900 million a year alone on just the live fish - a figure that has grown an average of 14 percent each year for the past 25 years. Should certain fish become entirely resistant to the antibiotics that help them survive, the industry could suffer a huge economic blow totaling millions of dollars.

Bermudez says the ornamental fish industry isn’t deaf to the dangers of antibiotic resistance. It has already made some changes based on his team’s research - such as treating fish less frequently with antibiotics unless necessary and figuring out how to ship them more safely.

But the industry deals with 6,000-plus species of fish, shipping from more than 100 countries, and most countries have no specific regulations regarding antibiotic use. So while individual suppliers might do their part to cut back on antibiotics, many are likely to continue preemptively treating their stocks to avoid disease.

There are still some open questions for researchers studying this antibiotic resistance. For example, Bermudez wants to understand whether or not the bacterial community of imported fish changes after a few weeks at a facility in the United States. Perhaps, he says, importers could eliminate fish with these resistant strains before they are transported to fish tanks across the country, preventing the resistance from spreading

For fish and humans alike, the vicious cycle of antibiotic resistance should be a serious concern. That’s because the fewer antibiotics that work to fight a particular disease, the more likely it is to have a negative impact on the population. The more resistant genes that exist, the more likely other bacteria are to become resistant. The longer suppliers rely on antibiotics to broadly safeguard stocks, the more likely they are to develop resistance.

“So now we’re facing a kind of a crisis situation in the case of humans and animals, that many times we don’t have antibiotics or we only have one antibiotic that can be used to kill the microorganisms that’s causing the infection, and that’s a serious problem,” Bermudez says.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
saltwater is fine and you can even do it for 30-40 seconds.
I hope this is a joke ..this won't do a thing against serious parasites like camallanus

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
To OP. Sorry for the thread derail!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think that it's all related, for those that don't they can scoll past. :)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Ya, that's a pretty weak argument, especially when that feeder has been soaking for 1.5 weeks in a malachite green bath. Scientific evidence indicates that leucomalachite green, a metabolite of malachite green, may be a genotoxic carcinogen which persists in fish tissues long after malachite green can no longer be detected.

That, and a malachite green/prazipro cocktail may or may not cleanse ones feeders of ALL of the various pathogens that they can sometimes be carrying. Picking up a domestic superbug from a feeder isn't natural to a wild fish, either.

And just for the record I have no issue with those who feed live or frozen food, I only advocate doing so responsibly which IMO typically means raising your own in a controlled (biosafe) environment.
I agree 100%, raising your own is by far the best method hands down.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
To OP. Sorry for the thread derail!

I think that it's all related, for those that don't they can scoll past. :)
no worries diesel haha your question was definitely on topic!

RD thanks for all the information, you do your homework there is no doubt.
Whats your view on wild caught feeders? I have the option of netting my own feeder fish from a local stream as well.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I would qt them a few weeks without any medicine.
It couldnt be good for our predators to feed them feeders that are full of medicine.
In the nature they eat any fish that comes along.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I would qt them a few weeks without any medicine.
It couldnt be good for our predators to feed them feeders that are full of medicine.
In the nature they eat any fish that comes along.
I probably should have clarified since everyone said its bad to bathe them in meds then feed, after I medicate and QT, they are taken off meds, carbon filtration applied, water 90% changed, then left in the tank med free for half a week (much longer usually unless I'm out of food for my predators)as well. RD is still going to tell me I suck at live feeder prep anyhow haha jk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store