live feeder preperation, what do you do?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
You guys crack me up... In a good way... Now that i know where the OP was going with this.. I'de try a soft floating pellet.. And if you don't have much surface current make some and "toss" a few pellets in.... Prior to this offer live the same time in the same place... See where i'm going here?... In the end this is how I managed to get our stubborn aba aba offa live. He knew where his food was coming from after a few days and expected it.. Once hes hitting them as soon as they hit the water. Took us a few weeks to get to that point ( smart, crafty, shy fish!) i'de rotate one feeder, one stick until they refuse both (full) I found the hikari worked well, unfortunately NLS was very hard and he immediately spat those out. Feed 1/1 for a few days/weeks until hes readily taking them as soon as they hit the water... Our guy is on massivore now and i'm working on transitioning him to NLS but its hit and miss some days. I refuse to starve juvi/yoy fish.. I found this technique keeps them hungry but never starved. Yes my gar where much easier to convert lol
ya...my pickerels would be just as bad, but my guppy factory has been set up so no need to really worry to much anymore haha. Now I just have to figure out how to get my new lap poly onto pellets because he only wants tilapia haha.

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
Clove oil is used to anesthetize and euthanize goldfish. Maybe to make it more humane dose the goldfish with the tiniest bit of clove oil in it's water before it's fed to the eating fish? That way it's not so horrifying. Maybe? it would still move around but it would already be stunned. Would that make people happier about live feeding?

Glenn

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Clove oil is used to anesthetize and euthanize goldfish. Maybe to make it more humane dose the goldfish with the tiniest bit of clove oil in it's water before it's fed to the eating fish? That way it's not so horrifying. Maybe? it would still move around but it would already be stunned. Would that make people happier about live feeding?

Glenn
necro'd my old thread I see hahaha. I don't really have an opinion on whether its terrifying for the fish or not, seeing as I'm only concerned about the predator I'm feeding them to lol. but yes in theory that may help, though I'd worry about larger residual amounts effecting the fish that's eating the feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store