live feeder preperation, what do you do?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I don't believe that anyone said that salt dips, short term baths, or long term baths are worthless. But a 30 second dip is pretty close to being worthless, at least if one is using concentrations normally utilized in aquaculture circles. (3%) The overall toxicity of salt dips are very much species dependent, so anything over 3% and you best be very certain of what you are doing.

And no matter the concentration or duration, salt alone will not necessarily make a feeder pathogen free.

Those were the only points I was attempting to make earlier.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
OP, do you have a cat? Do you keep feeder mice and canaries for it? Do you have a dog? Do you keep feeder rabbits for it? Same thing HA HA. Of course you wouldn't mess with it HA HA HA. Quality dry foods are better for them and there are no dangers to your pets HA HA. LOL. There is nothing wrong withholding food from your fish to train them to eat better food HA HA. Someone else in the thread mentioned that fish in the wild go days without catching a meal LOL and it would be the same in your aquarium HA HA HA.
No.
N/A.
Yes (Bichon Poo)
No. (It however kills any animal it catches and eats it if I am not there to take it away from her!)

WRONG!

It's a dog eat dog world. Sorry to break your heart, but fish eat fish.

All this non-predatory talk on MFK is giving me a hankering to devour live animals at lunch today. I'm thinking freshly shucked oysters on the half shell!:nilly:

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
No.
N/A.
Yes (Bichon Poo)
No. (It however kills any animal it catches and eats it if I am not there to take it away from her!)

WRONG!

It's a dog eat dog world. Sorry to break your heart, but fish eat fish.

All this non-predatory talk on MFK is giving me a hankering to devour live animals at lunch today. I'm thinking freshly shucked oysters on the half shell!:nilly:
I thought that comment was kinda weird too haha, considering dogs and cats are both predators lol.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I don't believe that anyone said that salt dips, short term baths, or long term baths are worthless. But a 30 second dip is pretty close to being worthless, at least if one is using concentrations normally utilized in aquaculture circles. (3%) The overall toxicity of salt dips are very much species dependent, so anything over 3% and you best be very certain of what you are doing.

And no matter the concentration or duration, salt alone will not necessarily make a feeder pathogen free.

Those were the only points I was attempting to make earlier.
oh RD, the 30 second dip is far and beyond past worthless hahaha! its like someone with OCD locking the door 8 times, not making the house any safer but they have to do it anyhow hahaha

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A 30 second dip at high enough NaCl concentrations can be effective against certain ectoparasites, but it seems rather pointless to stop at 30 seconds when one is treating live feeders. If one is going to go the salt route, I would be leaving them in until they totally lose equilibrium, and even then for a wee bit longer. :)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
A 30 second dip at high enough NaCl concentrations can be effective against certain ectoparasites, but it seems rather pointless to stop at 30 seconds when one is treating live feeders. If one is going to go the salt route, I would be leaving them in until they totally lose equilibrium, and even then for a wee bit longer. :)
haha its high salt concentration, trust me lol. I've killed more than my fair share of healthy feeders dipping them because i walk away for like 5 minutes lol.

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
You guys crack me up... In a good way... Now that i know where the OP was going with this.. I'de try a soft floating pellet.. And if you don't have much surface current make some and "toss" a few pellets in.... Prior to this offer live the same time in the same place... See where i'm going here?... In the end this is how I managed to get our stubborn aba aba offa live. He knew where his food was coming from after a few days and expected it.. Once hes hitting them as soon as they hit the water. Took us a few weeks to get to that point ( smart, crafty, shy fish!) i'de rotate one feeder, one stick until they refuse both (full) I found the hikari worked well, unfortunately NLS was very hard and he immediately spat those out. Feed 1/1 for a few days/weeks until hes readily taking them as soon as they hit the water... Our guy is on massivore now and i'm working on transitioning him to NLS but its hit and miss some days. I refuse to starve juvi/yoy fish.. I found this technique keeps them hungry but never starved. Yes my gar where much easier to convert lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The OP isn't interested in pellet training his fish, so I guess you don't know where he was going with this. :)

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
You guys crack me up... In a good way... Now that i know where the OP was going with this.. I'de try a soft floating pellet.. And if you don't have much surface current make some and "toss" a few pellets in.... Prior to this offer live the same time in the same place... See where i'm going here?... In the end this is how I managed to get our stubborn aba aba offa live. He knew where his food was coming from after a few days and expected it.. Once hes hitting them as soon as they hit the water. Took us a few weeks to get to that point ( smart, crafty, shy fish!) i'de rotate one feeder, one stick until they refuse both (full) I found the hikari worked well, unfortunately NLS was very hard and he immediately spat those out. Feed 1/1 for a few days/weeks until hes readily taking them as soon as they hit the water... Our guy is on massivore now and i'm working on transitioning him to NLS but its hit and miss some days. I refuse to starve juvi/yoy fish.. I found this technique keeps them hungry but never starved. Yes my gar where much easier to convert lol
Why was it so hard to switch yours?i literally just skipped a feeding for 1 day and it immediately started taking broken up pieces of massivore. Ever since day 1 at 3" mine never touched a live feeder ever

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store