Not open for further replies.

superleggera123

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Toronto
personally
i think pellets are safer..
feeders are kept in horrible conditions and can potentially kill your fish...
i feed my fish Hikari Gold which can be expensive.... usually i give pellets and frozen food because its good to vary the diet.. but if you ask me pellets with frozen is the way to go... unless u raise ur own feeders :)

paopanlilio

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
makati
Deaths Sting;3204360; said:
a varied diet is best!

but.....

:headbang2Hikari carnivore/massivore:headbang2

totally agree with varied diet

i breed my own guppies and tilapias and mealworms as feeders
i also buy shrimp squid occational beefheart and freeze em in air tight containers to avoid moisture

but i also buy algea wafers for my plecos
and cichlid pellets for my feeders

i also feed my fish pellets but they love frozen food more

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
pellets are not healthier or safer than a proper feeder fish. And the only reason pellets are sold by the billions is to support lazyness. Lets face it if feeders fish were free and easy to obtain year around and they were easy to keep healthy and disease free, the entire prepared fish food market would crash and burn. But they are not. They will become sick and diseased with out proper care. They cost on average more than a pellet or flake. And you have to take care of them, unlike a can of pellets that you set on a shelf.

Then I'm a worthless lazy bum!!! I knew I was lazy just needed you to verify it! LOL!

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Personally, I agree with those who said a varied diet. I mean borcolli is healthy but that would bite for us if all we ever ate was brocolli. The only live (alive) food I feed my fish are crickets. Other than that I feed my pellets, brine shrimp, beefheart, bloodworms, and market shrimp.

ward1066

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2009
kansas
I never feed feeders, who knows what kind of bacteria they may have in their gut. I spent too much money to risk it. Plus I dont want to introduce ick into my tank,,,,,now If I raised my own feeders that may be a different story. I dont really even trust frozen food,,,who knows if it has been thawed and refrozen,,, I feed pellets only and my fish are healthy and breeding, thats fine with me :)

Quentin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Minnesota, US
It is a very vague question. It's really funny how so many people forget the original question :naughty:... which one can make the fish grow faster? This would usually be feeder fish, depending on the brand and type of pellet you use. Variety is essential and time to digest along with a reliable fishery from which you get your feeders from.

Infernal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2006
england
just wanted to say Lupin's post are great and very detailed.

In my opinion unless you are breeding the feeder fish then it is not worth the hassle they may be bring to your tank. i suppose you could quarantine the fish for around 4 weeks to make sure they are clear and 9/10 they wont be so you willl need to treat them which in my opinion is a lot of hassle.

And for pellets these are a good option but only if you buy the high quality products low quality fish food will have a lot of addivitves whmich your fish will not benefit from. You will most likly find your fish will not eat these cheaper foods creating a lot of waste food.

In my opinion the best way to feed your fish is a very diet between live, dry and frozen foods this give a good nutrtional balance and is safe for your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store