Local Fish Store Best Lies

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Most stores mislabel fish, just hope yours is pretty good at not renaming. The ONLY fish I have ever seen renamed at my good LFS was a frogmouth catfish they had labeled as "prehistoric catfish". They said it slipped in with another order so I told them what it was but they never changed it. If I had a tank for it I would get it since I feel bad for it in about a little 15 gallon with gill curl. Also I feel places like petco shouldn't even be allowed to sell fish, I know they don't have the same appeal as cats or dogs but they are all animals and deserve to be treated equally!

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
When I first got into fish keeping before joining mfk. I went to my lfs and saw a id shark and he was trying to sell me it. I said isnt that a paroon shark and grow two feet. He said no it's a different species it only grows a foot (didn't say foot but used hands to give length) I took it :/. It never did grow for me though but I eventually got rid of it.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I was buying feeders from petco one time(bad idea I know) and I needed 100. The lady stood there and told me she wouldnt sell me more than 20 fish at a time because no tank could support more than that. When I told her it was a 500g tank filled with massive predatory fish, she said that adding more than 20 would crash my tank. I said id feed them one at a time and then the lightbulb went off and she refused to sell me any fish I was going to feed to another fish. And yes they are labeled and sold as "feeders" :screwy:

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I went to a pet smart and they were selling bluegill as "small cichlids"
Now I know that's illegal, retailers need special permits to sell native fish and I'm almost certain they don't. Plus "small cichlids" even if they were cichlids which they aren't they most certainly are not small!

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Guy at petco was like oscars get 2ft long, and yea you can put in your 10 gallon. I walked over there and said he was lying and was asked to leave

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
haha you didnt happen to be in maryland when you heard that did you? the petco in my area said the same thing abbout oscars lol. he pointed at the tag and said " the tag says size is ten so yes you could put three of them in a 30 gallon tank because they need ten gallons a piece lol WTF. i as well told the fellow custmer that that was a a boldfaced lie. i as well was not highly looked apon by the aquatics "expert" lol

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I always hate when they have fish that are mislabeled.

Characins as gator gars I have seen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store