Local Fish Store Best Lies

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I don't mind that so much, if it's to my benefit. 

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
yea it is nice but sometimes like when they have just one big tank of african cichlids and they are marked theem all at $5 lol. they have things labeled wrong to were it will not be good for the fish and the beginner fish keeper due to misinformation.

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
Weird how people don't understand the feeder fish concept all the time I see people buy them along with a FISH BOWL !!!

And this is WAY worse than feeding them to a fish which immediately eats it.

Reactions: FishTanksOfCO

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
And this is WAY worse than feeding them to a fish which immediately eats it.
Yeah I showed a guy working at petco a picture of a mature feeder goldfish after going back and fourth with me on the topic and he laughed at me and insisted it was either photoshopped or it was a koi it was a total face palm moment for me haha this is why I will never trust any one from petco or petsmart from now on without knowing for sure they got their stuff straight

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Yeah I showed a guy working at petco a picture of a mature feeder goldfish after going back and fourth with me on the topic and he laughed at me and insisted it was either photoshopped or it was a koi it was a total face palm moment for me haha this is why I will never trust any one from petco or petsmart from now on without knowing for sure they got their stuff straight

i have one that had escaped being netted out of my feeder tank for a long time somehow. he is now bout four inches long and i have only had him for a little over a year. imagine him in a few years. i decided that he should be granted his freedom from the feeder tank for being so evasive so he is now in a 30g tank in the bedroom along with some others that the wife decided were too cute to be eaten lol.

Dyph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Ontario
My parents bought my son a betta for him to keep at their house a few days ago. The girl at pet smart advised just letting it live in the cup...I have witnessed that same girl telling someone that API aquarium salt is the same as marine salt.
I sent them home with a 3gallon and a plant.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
My lfs is acually ok. When i just started researching rays i asked what size tank would be suiteble for Retics, he answered minimum 1000l.A couple of months ago someone there tryed selling me a common pleco for 150dollars.
You cant exspect the lfs to know everything about every fish, but they should just say they dont know.

Lesson learned: Dont trust your LFS. If i wanna do and impuls buy i always do quick search on seriusly fish on my phone before buying. Even tho there info isnt always spot on, its better than the lfs :D

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
does not relate to fish stores though. haha
my aunt is a fish seller, and she assumed tht every cichlid, tht has a hump, is a flowerhorn. lol she told me the red devil tht my uncle bought from her is a flowerhorn. i convinced her many times but she just doesnt want to accept tht. lol

cichlidsmart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
India
My LPS said that an oscar can live in a 20 gallon. I almost bought a juvenile oscar( before learning about fish) and then I saw an adult oscar behind in a tank. I asked them which fish it was and guess what answer? Oscars!

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
A guy at petsmart told me an oscar can live in a 29G ins whole life. Man I love going into those stores and playing stupid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store