Local Fish Store Best Lies

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
LFS told a friend, "That ray (motoro) is so easy to take care of that I don't know why everyone doesn't have one." He also said that fw rays aren't predators, could live in a 29g gallon tank for a few years before moving to a 50, and don't require any special treatment at all.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
An employee at petco tried to convince me that any thing with the word cichlid gets over 20 inches even rams lol

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Careful...don't want to be bashing the stores now...In some cases those crays are called lobsters and come in labeled as such so the shops just stick with the name.
No to mention that some of the Cherax species can reach nearly a foot. They are actually commonly named freshwater lobsters. Unfortunately, the more common Clarkii and Alleni species have been mistakenly called the same as the average fish store persos/shipper can't tell the difference.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
the thing that bugs me is the added "titles" if you will to get a few extra bucks platinum this royal that. Had a place only sell "Royal" Green Terrors $29.99. I asked them the difference and they said the color gets better. I said it doesn't look any better than others I have seen. They said oh when it get older the green gets brighter....umm no. Pink convicts are now Platinum convicts. Oscars with a slightly different coloring are now special lines.

The best is muddy brown fish that nobody wanted before are now "chocolate" like brown feeder gold fish.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
An employee at petco tried to convince me that any thing with the word cichlid gets over 20 inches even rams lol
Thats kinda sketchy but better than saying they all stay small I guess. Usually I hear em saying how small they will stay and will only grow to the size of the tank

StefanI

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2014
ontario
Being told at a big als, that a rtc will live out its life happy and comfortably in a 120

Sent from my SGH-I727R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store