Longest living fish

karaig19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2012
In the Ocean
go read the guys blog with the oldest koi. It is very hard to not believe he got the koi passed down from his family and cares for it like his own child. He even had a hard time letting the scientists get a scale. Sounds to protective to be a fake. Thats my opinion.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
go read the guys blog with the oldest koi. It is very hard to not believe he got the koi passed down from his family and cares for it like his own child. He even had a hard time letting the scientists get a scale. Sounds to protective to be a fake. Thats my opinion.
Well, he probably believes the story himself. he probably got the koi from his father or grandfather and was told that it's really old. the average life span last century was only 55-60 years. so if his grandfather got this fish in his 50's, it is possible for the koi to outlive two generations of men without being over 100. the fish is probably 50-60 years old.

carp is the most commercially bred fish. shouldn't there be more reports of them living over 200 years?

also, notice how people who claim to be over 120 years old are always from some godforsaken place. there is a reason for that, they dont have passports over there or 2 or 3 different family members use the same passport. same deal with this koi

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Well, he probably believes the story himself. he probably got the koi from his father or grandfather and was told that it's really old. the average life span last century was only 55-60 years. so if his grandfather got this fish in his 50's, it is possible for the koi to outlive two generations of men without being over 100. the fish is probably 50-60 years old.

carp is the most commercially bred fish. shouldn't there be more reports of them living over 200 years?

also, notice how people who claim to be over 120 years old are always from some godforsaken place. there is a reason for that, they dont have passports over there or 2 or 3 different family members use the same passport. same deal with this koi
Read the story: http://web.archive.org/web/20070808151558/http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/hanako.html

jabsthetank

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
California
Hahaha it sounds really lame translated. I bet it wasn't that lame in japanese.
You won't really ever know if it's true or not IMO. Unless the scale test works 100%.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Typically the most accurate method to determine a fish's age is by counting the rings of an otolith. While the fish doesn't have to be sacrificed to obtain a scale, it really isn't the most believable method of determining age.

There are some good examples here! But it should also be noted that clown loaches can live up to 50 years. Generally the longer-lived fishes inhabit colder climates. For example, some species of halibut and rockfish can live to be over 200 years old!

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
I've heard arctic whales can live over 200. I saw it on the news about a wild whale found with a harpoon on its back with a date on it says 1860. It is still alive today, the harpoon was removed. It had been on the whales back for over 140 years!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store