Looking for a fish that will survive NJ winter

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
I'm liking the gar idea. I think it'd be pretty cool in the pond. Gars aren't local here in Jersey, or are they?, but I should be able to get one. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
kind of small, and shallow i can not think of nothing.
Wow,at over twenty feet in length and just about four feet deep you consider that small and shallow.I guess my pond would be a water droplet to you if you saw it lol.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
only speaking to my experience with a fish pond, if I have offended my apologize. In the future if you wish to quote me, please post full quote so th:)ings are not taken out of context. :)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No offense taken,I was rather impressed that you are in a position to find such dimensions small.I chose to quote what I was referring to so no need to include everything else.I wasn't calling you out on anything so there was nothing to be taken out of context.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
the pond that i speak of was built with bull dozers and excavators. about 50 yards behind it was a hillside with natural springs, this was built up with embankment to channel the water about 200 yards to the east, where it went into a catch basin. 6" pipe was then buried 200 yards to drain it into the pond. on the east side. on the west side was a overflow 6" pipe with a 8' stand up that ran under the road and out into Harris creek. we had a island in the middle with a large willow, my lab loved to chase the ducks around and around it. later the freaking otters. so no, no experience with pond filtration, water quality or anything to do with that. it was a el natural pond.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
No offense taken,I was rather impressed that you are in a position to find such dimensions small.I chose to quote what I was referring to so no need to include everything else.I wasn't calling you out on anything so there was nothing to be taken out of context.
:)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'm liking the gar idea. I think it'd be pretty cool in the pond. Gars aren't local here in Jersey, or are they?, but I should be able to get one. Thanks for the ideas everyone.
You guys have Lepisosteus osseus, the longnose gar. :)

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/chkfish.htm

EDIT- nevermind, they appear to have been extirpated. Regardless though, I'm sure you can get ahold of some northern fish farms that will have fish that you can buy fish from for a good price. I have a good working relationship with Osage Catfisheries out of Missouri. They ship everywhere on this planet and they have gars. Might be worth looking into.

www.osagecatfisheries.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store