Looking for a fish that will survive NJ winter

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
not an authority on the matter but sturgeon river fish or delta fish and get very big.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
As the title states, I'm looking for a large growing fish like a mahseer or something similar that can survive a cold NJ winter. I'd like to put something different in my koi pond. It gets cold enough to freeze over if I didn't have one of the pumps and the air pump running all winter. Are there any fish that can/will survive? Also cant be too aggressive. Don't want it to beat up my koi. The pond is 22'x18' and 40" deep. Any ideas are appreciated.
Just be careful. There are cold water and tropical mahseers. Tropicals will definitely not make it.
Speaking from my experience with a small puddle pond in Socal, Indian mahseers does fine. However, they did eat all the fins and tail off my daughter's goldfish. Poor thing could only bob around. Can't speak for ponds in NJ. GL

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
Thanks for the link Chicxulub. I'll check it out. I want to stay away from sturgeon or paddles. Although my pond is large for a suburban backyard pond, it wouldn't be right to have fish that large in there.

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
Just be careful. There are cold water and tropical mahseers. Tropicals will definitely not make it.
Speaking from my experience with a small puddle pond in Socal, Indian mahseers does fine. However, they did eat all the fins and tail off my daughter's goldfish. Poor thing could only bob around. Can't speak for ponds in NJ. GL
Putitoras or kudrees are fine but tambroides or the other thai mahseer seems to be a little bit more sensitive

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
gars need to breath air , i think it would be a problem if the pond freeze completely , and i think its same for bowfins

gmalone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2011
middletown, CT
I've had an albino channel catfish in my two foot deep pond for the last two winters in CT and he's doing great.
I do keep a small pump at the surface to try and keep it from freezing solid but it still froze a couple of times for a few days. I'd say he's about 18 inches now and has never bothered my Koi or Comets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store