MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA

professor_rob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Nice setups. Very tempted to give one of these a go.

Though may have to wait a while. Just spend a bit of time and a bit of money redoing all the plumbing on my overflow-sump. Would not be able to get away with another project so soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
hmmm very cool i like the tv tray one then you dont really see anything like screens and such through the tank.... as the tank i have is just my main tank and wouldnt want some mickey mouse thrown together looking thing in it lol ... how big of one would i need for a 130g tank ?? that would likely stop the growth of the brown algea im getting everywhere (sand/rocks/fake plants/glass/heaters everywhere) lol why hasnt someone actually made one to sell across the world yet ?? im not a very handy guy at all, well.... not when it comes to stuff like this.... and space behind my tank is limited as tank sit against the wall well i have maybe 7.5" at most behind the tank

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Scrubbers are now sized according to feeding. Nutrients "in" (feeding) must equal nutrients "out" (scrubber growth), no matter how many gallons you have. So...

An example UAS screen size is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen (7.5 X 10 cm = 75 sq cm) with a total of 12 real watts (not equivalent) of fluorescent light for 18 hours a day. If all 12 watts are on one side, it is a 1-sided screen. If 6 watts are on each side, it is a 2-sided screen, but the total is still 12 watts for 18 hours a day. This screen size and wattage should be able to handle the following amounts of daily feeding:

1 frozen cube per day (2-sided screen), or
1/2 frozen cube per day (1-sided screen), or
10 pinches of flake food per day (2-sided screen), or
5 pinches of flake food per day (1-sided screen), or
10 square inches (60 sq cm) of nori per day (2-sided screen), or
5 square inches (30 sq cm) of nori per day (1-sided screen), or
0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen), or
0.05 dry ounce (1.4 grams) of pellet food per day (1-sided screen)

High-wattage technique: Double the wattage, and cut the hours in half (to 9 per day). This will get brown screens to grow green much faster. Thus the example above would be 12 watts on each side, for a total of 24 watts, but for only 9 hours per day. If growth starts to turn YELLOW, then increase the flow, or add iron, or reduce the number of hours. And since the bulbs are operating for 9 hours instead of 18, they will last 6 months instead of 3 months.

Very rough screen made of roughed-up-like-a-cactus plastic canvas.

Clean algae off of screen every 7 to 14 days, so that you can see the white screen material.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
So then for my lights being on 8hrs a day t5ho think there 54 waTts x2 I would something like 6"x6" ? Or maybe I totally missed something lol.... But yes iam getting brown algea on my glass fake plants and even my white sand, makes the tank look darker then it really is if I leave it for a week with out doing water change

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
How much are you feeding?
ive cut down from twice a day to once a day now, and giving them 4.5mm NLS pellets.... maybe 2-3 pinchs (3 fingers) of pellets maybe a bit more

i do weekly water changes too like 80-90% usually just cuz i like nice clean water in my tanks, and when i do it i usually clean in the inside of the glass everywhere and mix the sand up here and there when vaccumm during the water change and yet at end of the week i can see brown algea on my glass and plants !! very annoying lol... some says is due to my t5h0 dual bulb fixture 48" fixture on a 72" tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store