lowest water temp for gars

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
scriving;4935402; said:
What does YOY mean?
the year they where born. not sure exactly what the acronym means I'm guessing "Year of Yolk" but it's the year the fish was hatched.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
HungDang;4932029; said:
as long as the water not freezing, they are good !
so you are willing to subject your fishes to any temperature as long as it is above 32F? :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Spiritofthesoul;4935645; said:
so you are willing to subject your fishes to any temperature as long as it is above 32F? :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
You do not have control over the temperature in many natural outdoor pond environments. It is important to remember that ice make a fantastic insulator.

In other words, My pond is around 15' deep and 100+ feet in diameter. I have never seen the entire surface of the pond "freeze" over (Two above ground spring feeds have kept those areas from freezing since I moved here in 1979.

Even in the event of a cold snap never before seen in central Maryland, where the entire surface of my pond froze over to a foot deep, I would not be concerned about the water temperature affect on the gar. I would be far more concerned about the gar not being able to reach the surface to breathe air!:WHOA:

It would be very silly to worry about water temperature in a pond with adequate depth. If my 15 foot pond freezes solid, EVERY FREAKING HUMAN BEING IN THE STATE HAS PERISHED!

I sure hope that you are more concerned about the MILLIONS of us humans that just our chilly fate than some pointy nosed toothy fish preserved in ice!

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
So from what I've read gators can survive the cold where I live. I have a question regarding the heat, it may reach 100 degrees for weeks on end with some days over 110 and even 120, these extreme days are few and far between but over 100 is a given every summer. The outdoor pond will be in full shade, can gator gars take this extreme end of the temperature range? If not what would be the max high temp they can tolerate? Thanks

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
johnny potatoes;5018565; said:
So from what I've read gators can survive the cold where I live. I have a question regarding the heat, it may reach 100 degrees for weeks on end with some days over 110 and even 120, these extreme days are few and far between but over 100 is a given every summer. The outdoor pond will be in full shade, can gator gars take this extreme end of the temperature range? If not what would be the max high temp they can tolerate? Thanks
Where exactly are you located?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
troppond;5021359; said:
I'm putting one YOY longnose in my 1700 gal predator pond tomoro as a test, it's 40 something degrees atm
wow, um, depending on the size and exact age of that YOY it will probably die at that temp.--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store