Mad Max the GATF and Chicxulub's other ATF

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I have a GATF, pink tailed chalceus, and a scomb. Here's some pics. I know I already posted the GATF pics, but I wanted to show off my characins.

The PTC makes a wonderful dither fish for the tiger along with my tarpon. The tiger schools with them and does false charges, but after living together for four months the worse thats happened to the PTC or the tarpon is a few missing scales. The GATF does NOT tolerate other tigers, he amputated the back 1/3 of my VATF and ate it. :/

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
nice! Can't believe no one has comment yet. lol

giant19000

Fahaka
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
THE AMAZON
I have a GATF, pink tailed chalceus, and a scomb. Here's some pics. I know I already posted the GATF pics, but I wanted to show off my characins.

The PTC makes a wonderful dither fish for the tiger along with my tarpon. The tiger schools with them and does false charges, but after living together for four months the worse thats happened to the PTC or the tarpon is a few missing scales. The GATF does NOT tolerate other tigers, he amputated the back 1/3 of my VATF and ate it. :/

Jealous !

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks guys! I was kinda surprised no one ever replied to this, but now they have! haha

Mad Max, my Goliath, is my favorite. He's a great fish; energetic, alert and smart. He's extremely aware of his surroundings.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
EDIT:

HYDROCYNUS TANZANIAE

I used the writings of Bernice Brewster in the Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History) Zoology to positively identify this fish. This young fish has a lateral line scale count of 46 and an anal fin ray count of 3 branched 12 unbranched rays. My young fish is 2.75 inches in length. This fish also has the characteristic steel blue adipose fin seen on all adult H. tanzaniae. It would appear that these fish have bluish fins, but time will bear this observation out. These fish have much stronger iridescence than any of the other Hydrocynus that I've had the pleasure of working with. The top half of it's body has a green/gold sheen not unlike the Metynnis maculatus silver dollars. Interestingly, at this young point in its life this fish shows an iridescent strip laterally similar to that encountered in many native North American Notropis species. It has subdued striping similar to H. goliath. It's jaw structure is similar in construction to H. vittatus with proportions like H. goliath.

For the hobbyist, I would consider this fish to be relatively easy to discern from the other species. Key diagnostic items to look for are the blue adipose fin (not readily apparent on young, stressed fish) and subdued striping akin to the Goliaths.

I'm stoked as all hell over this guy!

Pics:

In the bag, to show structure:

After settling in a bit to show color:

This first pic really shows the blue adipose well.

And these pics show the iridescence well:

First thing's first, I want to think Wes from RARE FISH for getting this guy for me. This has been one of my dream fish for quite some time. Once again, fugupuff delivers like no one else!

That being said, I realize that's an awfully bold claim. I've looked around quite a bit and I have not found one of these in captivity before. Anywhere. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time this type of fish has made it into a fish tank. It's possible that someone out there has one and doesn't know what it is, but then if that's the case, how would I find it?

I'll come back and edit this post if I'm able with info on the fish as soon as I'm done uploading pictures. If not, I'll simply reply to the thread.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Ok you have had 14 minutes to acclimate whatever it is... Pics already !!! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store