Madtom question

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I was right, these are yellow bullheads. They are on a little predatory side than bullheads. A little aggressive too.

jdhuegel1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2011
Frederick MD
+1 mine fights with a gibbiceps pleco same size as him (8-8.5") every single night like clockwork.
In my 265, my bullhead (I'll call him that... he's very dark brown, tiny white spots on his head, about 14") fights with my 4'+ american eel a lot too. The eel has actually dragged him around the tank by his tail. Of course, mrwhisker isn't playing and snaps him like a pitbull. THey're usually doing their own thing, but when the eel sees people he gets all excited and swims around like a retard which drives the cat nuts. It's amusing.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Accidents happen. They were tiny little black catfish when I caught them so it was impossible to know what they were. I wouldn't deliberately catch/keep anything endangered.
yes, "accidents" happen all the time. that's why they are endangered, and why you shouldn't collect what you can't identify.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
In my 265, my bullhead (I'll call him that... he's very dark brown, tiny white spots on his head, about 14") fights with my 4'+ american eel a lot too. The eel has actually dragged him around the tank by his tail. Of course, mrwhisker isn't playing and snaps him like a pitbull. THey're usually doing their own thing, but when the eel sees people he gets all excited and swims around like a retard which drives the cat nuts. It's amusing.
Lol. Never heard of an American eel that big, any pictures?

jdhuegel1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2011
Frederick MD
Lol. Never heard of an American eel that big, any pictures?
This is an old one... I don't have any new ones here at work with me. My brother and I tried to measure him a few times (he lets me hold him kind of) but he won't sit still. My guess would be probably closer to 40" so I exaggerated a bit.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1382565860.095661.jpg

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Won't be surprised if it was closer to 40". Many record eels were big and often surpassed 35" mark. They also lives forever...

jdhuegel1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2011
Frederick MD
Won't be surprised if it was closer to 40". Many record eels were big and often surpassed 35" mark. They also lives forever...
I had read similar. The females were longer/larger correct? It doesn't surprise me that they live forever... they're super tough. He got out twice when I've been gone with the Army. First time was just a few hours when my brother was feeding them, the second time was at least a full day. My brother didn't put the brick back on the lid and ol slimer pushed it off. Brother said he was stiff as a board when he found him and figured he was dead... went to pick him up and he tried to swim. So he tossed him back in the tank and he was back to normal in an hour or so. It's also a 7 foot fall from the top of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store