Malaysian Trumpet Snail Info

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I hate them. They eat some aquarium plants.
Not correct.

Then you have snails other than MTS. They are absolutely plant safe.

I love my MTS. They only multiply like crazy if you over feed. Perfect clean up crew.

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JoshM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Evanston, IL
I don't know if i'm aloud to ask this but does anyone have some to give away for free? I'll take some but only if you wanna get rid of some. P.S. post more experience with MTS. I'm really enjoying your guy's replies :)

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have had MTS in my tanks for over 50 years. I have found them to be a positive addition to tanks.
Except for breeding setups and QT, all my tanks have been planted. The MTS have not harmed plants for me.
They will burrow thru the substrate and sre effecient at finding excess food and dead organic material. They are mostly out of sight.

The single biggest negative issue can be an excess number. I had that problem in the past myself. I have had such large numbers as to foul pump impellers and have had huge numbers all over tanks. Excess population of MTS is largely due to overfeeding in my experience. Once I determined that it was my excess feeding and made adjustments, the populations have been very reasonable. I find them to be beneficial.

Do a search for MTS on this forum as this has been discussed several times.

I also keep red ramshorn snails in my tanks. They are more prone to be active during the lighted period and thus to some degree help keep algae down on the plants . The rams horn snails will damage some tender plants when they get to around nickle size, but the smaller ones have not proven to do any harm. As with the MTS, the overall population will be related to their food supply. Overfeed and you will have a lot of them. One thing about the ramshorn is that if the population gets large they can be used to fed the fish. I have kept a set of plires handy and use them to crush the shell ( I learned the hard way not to use my fingers). My fish eat them eagerly. The shells of the MTS are a bit too tough for this.

As for picking some up, ask at some fish shops. They have from time to time given them to me. The MTS are livebearers while the ramshorn are egg layers, both will reproduce in a tank so you only need a few to start.

good luck

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I don't know if i'm aloud to ask this but does anyone have some to give away for free? I'll take some but only if you wanna get rid of some. P.S. post more experience with MTS. I'm really enjoying your guy's replies :)
If you ever find yourself in Milwaukee, send me a pm, I'll give you some

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Has anyone here been able to grow a little one to an adult?
Hello; Over the decades I suppose many MTS have grown to maturity. I cannot really say how long an individual may live as I have not actually kept track of one. They do not get very large, maybe an inch or so for the most part. I do not think any have been two inches, but have not actually measured.
They are very tough in many ways. I have put gravel into buckets when breaking down a tank and set t aside for weeks. When I used the gravel in a new setup later the MTS would show up, even surviving a good rinse of the gravel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store