Male Leo not eating and acting not like usual

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
holding out till friday to see if its a whole tank thing or not. tried feeding at night, and he was insterested in the worms but cant quite get em down, which indicates to me that hes weak. today im gonna chop the worms into tiny tiny pieces and see if that helps. as for the food on the ground, it rarely happens because of my fish appetites, catfish usually take the rest, but it happens sometimes. chris, my fx5 was jsut cleaned a month ago, my sponges on the sump are a bit brownish but thats a lot of good bacteria, do you recommend replacing them?

tonyt ph and nitrate shouldnt be affecting anything considering i just changed the water correct? or am i wrong? im talking 2 days ago when i got upset that he wouldnt eat anything.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Did you test all water params? You say they are good but did you rely test? What were the results?

When ever something goes wrong in my tanks its usually my fault lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
hey trev, no i did not, i have never had an issue just because where i live the water quality is very good, and im vigilant about my water changes, would that not indicate that water is likely not the issue? especially since its been a few water changes and hes still like this. say the word if thats just my flawed thinking, and ill buy test strips. btw he ate a tiny bit yesterday, smelt or shrimp couldnt tell, but he ate. and he was more active this morning that usual. your leo is doing great as usual, no sign of any stress.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Without testing you wont know, I have changed tons of water on my tank but if something is bad in the tank all that water wont change anything. You need to test asap. Get a worth wile kit.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
This same thing happened to me a few months back.... here is my post with pictures http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-forehead-of-my-ray-but-not-from-being-skinny

At the time i was running canister filters on this tank, it had been a month or two since they were last cleaned... Maybe that was it. BUT i talked with a few other guys on here that talked me into a UV... I think it was the best thing i could have done. After a couple of weeks mine came around and dent went away.....
1. I would really look at cleaning out your filters...
2. i would look into getting a quality UV sterilizer..needs to be sized to your tank.. Not a bad investment since you have $$ in rays.
3. Test your water, can't hurt, and only cost a few bucks for a test kit.

here is same ray now-- http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...cked-up-a-new-tank-plus-an-update-of-the-rays

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
thank you for the reply. i have an fx5 which i will clean out tonight. it is running on my 90 gallon sump. i will look into a UV sterilizer, will be getting a test kit today also. do you guys think i should entirely replace the sponges on my sump? theyre not that grimy, just a light green coating, and then tons of bioballs under the sponges, should i replace them or keep for the BB?

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I would give the fx5 a good rinsing especially the sponges... that is what i was running is two fx5's.
Dont mess with sump and FX5 may crash biological system. one at a time.
You should be able to do maintenance and leave all bio balls, or other biological stuff alone.
Keep up on water changes, the more the better.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
thank you for the reply. i have an fx5 which i will clean out tonight. it is running on my 90 gallon sump. i will look into a UV sterilizer, will be getting a test kit today also. do you guys think i should entirely replace the sponges on my sump? theyre not that grimy, just a light green coating, and then tons of bioballs under the sponges, should i replace them or keep for the BB?
No, don't replace the sponges as you will loose a lot of bacteria. Curious though, what is the light green coating on them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store