Male Leo not eating and acting not like usual

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
i wrote light green cuz i was in a rush, its actualyl darker, just waste, algae, bacteria, the regular stuff that accumulates on sponges. i meant light as in not heavy not light coloured.

i never thought about seasonally changing our water quality since we dont get our water from a well. ill buy the testing strips, never once have i had to use em to date, but i suppose its good to have around in case anyway.

good news though, this morning the leo was a lot mroe active than ive seen him lately. he was jsut fed, and he ate shrimp and smelt. and he ate well, a lot. dent in his forhead has actually gotten smaller (or maybe im being optomistic).

so this makes me wonder. lately filling my 400 gallon tank in the winter has left me short on hot water near the end. and this is maybe the last 5-10% max of cold water im putting in at the end. so ususally i keep my tank at 29 degrees, with the cold water it drops to about 26, 25 lowest. takes less than a day for my heater to get the temp back up, but now it has me thinking, would up and down temperature like that affect this single ray to this degree? the bass get a bit lethargic, the black aro swims lower than usual, but that last for 3-4 hours and then everything is normal, including their colours, so i've always chalked it up to something i gotta deal with because really, if i dont got enough hot water what can i do? wait 2-3 hours and then fill with new hot water? seems more risky to me.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
How do u know your changing enough water if u dont test? What are your nitrates like? Whats your typical tank ph and tap ph? Is your ph dropping? Is it bouncing back up drastically every time you do a waterchange now? Way too many variables... Alot of things can add stress and eventually cause a ray to slow its eating and get sick. Best thing to do is test imo. If u never test though it will be hard to narrow down the problem since u dont know your reg params. Dont even bother with strips they are worthless. Get a real kit

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tonyt

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
hudson valley,ny
With all the extra food you are adding and it not eating it all , it's breaking down and causing mini spikes, possibly lowering your ph making your filter not nearly as effective as it should be. Doing massive water changes is great but there's another factor at play, test ph and nitrate , ph probably low and nitrate high. Get a real test kit, check before and after a water change

doveandgrenade

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2012
Canada
He's in the same area as me and my tap water gets funky in the winters. The nitrates out of tap test at over 80ppm. It's outrageous. Definitely needs to test the water for sure.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Bought the strips because I didn't read the post about them being a waste of time lol, but nitrates were 40 ppm, nitrites 0, ph 6. But like Trev said I have nothing to compare them to, but at least I have a start now.

Ray ate today. He ate a lot. Last one to stop eating. Didn't get too fat, spit a bit of food out, but the dent is 90% gone. Going to treat with prazi pro in a couple hours. He was also far more active the last two days, this should be sorted out soon I feel.

doveandgrenade

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2012
Canada
Bought the strips because I didn't read the post about them being a waste of time lol, but nitrates were 40 ppm, nitrites 0, ph 6. But like Trev said I have nothing to compare them to, but at least I have a start now.

Ray ate today. He ate a lot. Last one to stop eating. Didn't get too fat, spit a bit of food out, but the dent is 90% gone. Going to treat with prazi pro in a couple hours. He was also far more active the last two days, this should be sorted out soon I feel.

Do you add anything to the tap?? London water naturally comes out at a 7.6 ph or at least in that range. I'll check it when I get home but it certainly isn't at 6. Possible with all the wc they are getting a ph shock with how lower your tank is compared to the tap water.

Also test strips are known to show false info so it could be a funky strip.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Add prime every time. That's about it. He ate amazing today, 95% as active as before and no more dent.

After water change ph was 6.5. 30% wc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store