Male motoro or teacup growth rates- Please post your personal experience

jdbrock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2009
Cincinnati
Depends on how much you feed and what you feed. For instance my rays are healthy and I feed blackworms, beefheart, krill, (and soon to be DIY food), market shrimp, taliapia, and ghost shrimp on a rotating schedule every other day and not usually at all on the weekends (Sat, Sun). For instance I feed black worms Monday, beef heart Wednesday, and Krill Friday. The following Monday I then feed shrimp, then tilapia, etc.

Its easier on the filtration and water quality in general. Also the rays don't seem to grow as quickly which is delaying the inevitable upgrade I have coming since my other tank cracked :WHOA:.

Point being they grow as much as you feed them. From asking around this seems to be the case for just about everyone.

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Just Toby;4887944; said:
Listen to the advice....it is there to help and makes sense.
Lol no offense, and hope you can take a joke, but the redundancy of that statement brought this right to mind

captain-obvious.jpg

earthstudent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Iowa
I do not have rays YET, but have done allot of reading myself all over because I do have big plans for a big ray tank. And I do know from experience that it can be a mistake, to get a fish for a tank that is to small, in thoughts of a future upgrade. I have done this and ended up getting rid of the fish because an upgrade turned out not to be a possibility when it was needed.

So, my advice to you is to continue to do your research and wait until you can build/buy a tank suitable for a ray. I do not think a 180 is good home for any ray other than a baby and they don't stay small for long.

May I ask... what is stopping you now from buying or building a tank large enough to comfortably house a ray?

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
earthstudent;4888122; said:
May I ask... what is stopping you now from buying or building a tank large enough to comfortably house a ray?
Sure thing, not sure how long I will be where I am at. If I had say like 2 years for this growth before it became a problem, well I will most likely be settled elsewhere, allowing that upgrade. Six footers aren't too hard to move for the time being though.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
That post I looked at above was a joke right

You feed this big list of food and claim your rays are healthy

BUT

You starve them for 2 days per week to keep them small and keep your water better because your filtration isn't good enough

And you think that's right I can just see a ray swimming around in the wild saying to himself mmmm what day is it as I can't eat on Saturday or Sunday As I don't want to get to big or mess up the water in the amazon :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

earthstudent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Iowa
T1KARMANN;4888168; said:
That post I looked at above was a joke right

You feed this big list of food and claim your rays are healthy

BUT

You starve them for 2 days per week to keep them small and keep your water better because your filtration isn't good enough

And you think that's right I can just see a ray swimming around in the wild saying to himself mmmm what day is it as I can't eat on Saturday or Sunday As I don't want to get to big or mess up the water in the amazon :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
I actually was so disturbed and angered by that post I did not comment because it would not have been pretty. You were very nice IMO.

I was like :WHOA: :irked: :irked: :irked: :banhim:

If I were to comment, so much of it would need to be censored that it would not make sense anyway. I don't even want to know what size tank these rays are in. He probably has 3-4 rays packed in a 220 or something.

jdbrock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2009
Cincinnati
I didn't say I didn't have enough filtration. I actually have 100% turnover tank volume per hour. I know lots of people who don't feed everyday. Doesn't make me a bad person because I don't feed everyday.

My rays are far from starving so get off your high horse and back off. Apparently I missed the memo where someone died and made you a fish god.

I said it's easier on filtration and water quality which is true. Try it, test your water, you'll find I'm right.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Sure. If you only ate 3 days a week you probably wouldn't put out so much waste either. You'd sure be hungry, though, and I can guarantee - as can anyone else here that feeds their rays more than once every single day and watches them devour all they're given - that your rays are hungry.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I will refrain from joining the bash fest

But I thought you should know that most ray keepers shoot for between 6-10x turn over on their tanks

I know nothing about your situation and I am not passing judgment. Just a bit of friendly info :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store