Male motoro or teacup growth rates- Please post your personal experience

jdbrock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2009
Cincinnati
Healthy rays are always hungry as anyone will tell you. If they're not hungry and they're aren't special circumstances (shipping, etc) then theres something wrong. So what if I don't conform to the same methods of fish keeping as the majority of you? It works for me so forget the rest of you.

This sidetrack has nothing to do with the original post. Apparently some of us would rather bash the other posters than post something relevant. John's response was much more appropriate.

This is the second thread in the past week you've bashed other posters instead of trying to contribute to the OP. If your not trying to post something relevant then why bother? Lots of people are leaving here or not posting because a few people use this as a way to get themselves off. Enough is enough!

johno27;4891702; said:
I will refrain from joining the bash fest

But I thought you should know that most ray keepers shoot for between 6-10x turn over on their tanks

I know nothing about your situation and I am not passing judgment. Just a bit of friendly info :)
Thanks John. As for the filtration thing I do it with all my tanks. Always have, probably always will. Not necissary but I like my water good.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
jdbrock;4891065; said:
I didn't say I didn't have enough filtration. I actually have 100% turnover tank volume per hour. I know lots of people who don't feed everyday. Doesn't make me a bad person because I don't feed everyday.

My rays are far from starving so get off your high horse and back off. Apparently I missed the memo where someone died and made you a fish god.

I said it's easier on filtration and water quality which is true. Try it, test your water, you'll find I'm right.
Come on this is not a bash I don't think you should be giving out advice based on the way you keep your rays

The filtration thing of having a turnover of just once per hour I no were near enough so I can see why you don't want to feed that much

I think you should be looking at 5-9 times per hour total turnover rate

The way you feed also is not right and the way you put it was you are not feeding to keep your rays small

Rays should be fed daily with a max of one day not feeding per week

jdbrock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2009
Cincinnati
T1KARMANN;4892410; said:
Rays should be fed daily with a max of one day not feeding per week

My rays are not losing weight if anything they're gaining it. I'd post pictures but I doubt it'd shut you up.

gaz025

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2007
LEEDS UK
not feeding for two days helps the water quality ?

what happens to the water quality when you start feeding them again and the bacteria havnt been fed for two days ?

i have no idea how long the bacteria live for but from what ive searched in the past , having filters off for just a couple of hours causes problems (although ive not visibly experienced them ) so reducing feeding from lots to nill for potentially over 48 hrs seems odd if the aim is to benefit water quality

b

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
This is turning in to a lovely thread...

I think with turnover we need to be clear on turnover THROUGH a filter as opposed to thinks like power heads or koralia type pumps for circulation of the water.

100x turnover would have my rays pinned against the glass on my 300 gals and I hope the bacteria can eat quickly....but I guess a huge filter on a smaller tank and massive pumps could achieve it...would love to hear more clarification on the spec of your 100x, not to flame, I am truly intrigued.

Lol at the captain obvious response, I guess I asked for that.

I think some fish could live quite happily missing 2 days per week but I wouldn't advise it with rays as they have such a high metabolic rate, if you really feel you need to skip 2 then please alternate the days and only one at a time with a good feed in the middle....I feel guilty if I miss a morning feed as my rays behaviour changes a lot.

I too have a fast metabolism and if I miss 1 meal I feel pretty rotten...two days for a ray would be tough I would think on a regular basis as it would deplete their fat stores and mess with their metabolism.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store