Mangrove tree pod washed up

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
After some heavy storms in Panama throughout the last week, lots of junk washing up on the island of Taboga, 10 miles off shore of the mainland.
A couple mangrove pods washed up, one looked viable, whether of not it is, is another story.
Whether or not it is the fresh, or salt water type may be another issue, time will tell.
I filled up a bamboo branch with enough stones, and beach sand to weigh it down, but keep the bud emerged, and stuck it in my outside sump.
CF55DDCD-4CAC-4880-A448-4B2C351D986D_1_201_a.jpeg
1A992199-FE91-41D8-963A-C88A75604322_1_201_a.jpeg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I grew one in fresh for a few yrs no prob in an aquaponics system. The only “additive” i ever needed was chelated iron. If it starts to yellow hit it with iron and itell go green again ??. Most any “fish” liquid plant formula contains it and will do in a pinch, dont need much either. Very cool find!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I grew one in fresh for a few yrs no prob in an aquaponics system. The only “additive” i ever needed was chelated iron. If it starts to yellow hit it with iron and itell go green again ??. Most any “fish” liquid plant formula contains it and will do in a pinch, dont need much either. Very cool find!
Thanks, sounds like a good tip.

Reactions: wednesday13

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Very nice progress!
I used to work in the intertidal mud flats of Pacific Colombia, in front of quite extensive mangrove tickets. Red mangrove, Rhizophora mangle propagules were everywhere, and floated naturally along with seeds of other mangrove species. Individual pods would get entrapped in microhabitats, and rooted in place to begin new trees. Because I worked there over about 3 years, I witnessed the individual progress of some pods in specific sites, and the growth of tickets, as well as the destruction of others. While the pods are well equipped for survival and dispersal, the odds of establishing themselves as a new tree are pretty low for individual pods.
I have never kept mangroves in an aquarium, and although I have seen posts by a few people who have, I believe yours is the only one I have seen in fully freshwater conditions (I believe that is what you have?). I am glad to see that is progressing well, sprouting new leaves and all; it probably has a root by now as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store