Mangrove tree pod washed up

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My Canadian mangrove is doing great 👍 View attachment 1519721
Ah! That's more like it! The ultra-rare Boreal Mangrove; that's the one I want! :)

I'd love to try one or two of these things. I'd like to keep it in my outdoor pond during the summer, and then bring it downstairs into my basement stock tank for the winter. I've been having moderate success with Papyrus doing this; they grow like weeds while outdoors, and then during the cooler and darker winter indoors they tend to die back quite a bit, but then bounce back quickly the following spring. How long have you had yours, D Doug B ? It looks good. :)

Reactions: fishguy1978

Doug B

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Ah! That's more like it! The ultra-rare Boreal Mangrove; that's the one I want! :)

I'd love to try one or two of these things. I'd like to keep it in my outdoor pond during the summer, and then bring it downstairs into my basement stock tank for the winter. I've been having moderate success with Papyrus doing this; they grow like weeds while outdoors, and then during the cooler and darker winter indoors they tend to die back quite a bit, but then bounce back quickly the following spring. How long have you had yours, D Doug B ? It looks good. :)
I figure it's around 5 years old

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In just the last month or so, the mangroves have really been taking off, branching out, and shooting up.
IMG_8487.jpeg
Been doing nothing different, except adding fish to the main tank, that acts as its sump, the sump the mangroves are in.
Until a couple months ago, the tank averaged maybe 8 for to 6 inchfish.
Over the last months, the population has been brought up to a couple large (6 to 8") adult cichlids, and about a dozen juvies, a couple catfish & plecos, and 6 gobies. A heavier nutrient load, yet nitrate remains, undetectable

IMG_8146.jpegIMG_8062.jpeg

Reactions: Milingu

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
After a tremor, and some dry rot, my sump stand needed to be replaced (tank still intact (?)), so after draining the sump, in order to lighten it enough to be lifted onto cinder blocks, I took out the mangrove trees with their bamboo cylinders. This has been the 1st time in at least 2 years they have been moved, or seen out of water, so I thought it would be interesting to photograph the progress. ALthough some, (the ones kept in shadier areas), had not breached the bamboo cylinders, the ones in direct sun, had filled the bamboo tube with roots, pushed roots thru the tube, enough to split it.
IMG_0435.jpegIMG_0436.jpegIMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0426.jpeg

Last edited:

driftdiver

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2006
Delray Beach, Florida
On the off chance the OP is still checking the thread, I figured I would go ahead and ask for advice here.

. For the past several years I’ve had mangroves “growing” in my outdoor SW reef holding tank. I started with 3 propagules, of which 2 started growing but 1 ended up rotting somehow. I added a few more propagules to the system, all of which show growth. The propagules are placed in a mix of sand/DE/shells in a CPR quarantine fuse mounted in the middle of the system. although there has been a good amount of root growth the main plants have grown less than 12”.

I’m not sure if it’s due to the full salt environment or the amount of light that is causing the problem. As this is an actual holding tank for my reefs, the salinity is 1.024 most of the time. The tank is located on my back porch next to a portion of our orchids, which are growing normally. The tank gets indirect light all day but there is never full sun on the system.

in your earlier posts you had some plants growing on the dark end of the tank. Was this partial or indirect sun? Just trying to determine what I may be able to do to increase growth. I am going to put some new propagules in a FW grow out in direct sun but I really would prefer to keep the full SW setup going. I have an idea I may try but I think my wife may kill me if I build it. Thanks.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store