Marimo Moss Balls in Saltwater Reef Tank?

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
FLESHY;5159413; said:
Hope this helps! Eager to see where this reef ends up. :D
Thanks, Fleshy! I know some of those Nudibranches are down in Florida near where my Father lives in Palm Coast. Maybe I'll bring a few back when I go down there to see the last Space Shuttle Launch.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I tried the green leaf nudi - made it 2 whole days snacking on the last of the hair algae then went in search of more and found his way into the sump where he dried out stuck on the scrubbers. Also my Red Leg Hermits are Satans children - seek and destroyed the blue legs, scralet reef, and halloween hermits then strated making babies to insure their domain.

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Otherone;5161483; said:
I tried the green leaf nudi - made it 2 whole days snacking on the last of the hair algae then went in search of more and found his way into the sump where he dried out stuck on the scrubbers. Also my Red Leg Hermits are Satans children - seek and destroyed the blue legs, scralet reef, and halloween hermits then strated making babies to insure their domain.

Good to know! I keep reading that the nudis are just going to have trouble surviving so I'm just going to forget about them for the time being. Too bad the hermits are evil as hell. I really like them a lot. If I start to have issues with the reds I'll pull them. I'm going to grab some Astrea snails to hopefully get rid of some of the unwanted brown Algae still on the rocks from when I bought them.

To Update on the Moss Ball it is still it's bright green with no discoloration other than when the salt and debris gets caught on it. Once I shake it off and squeeze it it looks new again. I have to be careful though as yesterday when I picked it up I noticed a starfish in the middle of it. I have to shake it a little before I squeeze it.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Lol I love this thread...most people talk about their anemones...this guy....his moss ball. :D

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
FLESHY;5162102; said:
Lol I love this thread...most people talk about their anemones...this guy....his moss ball. :D
I'll talk about an anemone eventually! The moss balls have minimal answers on the salt water so I feel like I'm opening a door. Hopefully it stays open!!!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
quicklynx;5162870; said:
I'll talk about an anemone eventually! The moss balls have minimal answers on the salt water so I feel like I'm opening a door. Hopefully it stays open!!!
Who knows...maybe someday you will convince me to have mossballs in my tank. :grinno:

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
FLESHY;5164421; said:
Who knows...maybe someday you will convince me to have mossballs in my tank. :grinno:
It's weird, I love these things! Ever since I threw about 5 of them in my freshwater tank I've had no issues with water quality, and it was a pretty stocked tank. 1 Black Aro, 2 Leaporinus, 1 Leapord Ctenopoma Acutirostre, 2 Rainbow/Red-Tail Sharks, 2 Angelicus Loaches, 2 Super Red Kribensis Cichlids, and 1 Common Pleco that is about 8 inches.

In other news, and great news it is, this is a picture of my most recent water test from the tank.

I have had the same results each the past 3 days worth of testing. I did a water change the night before the testing, and have fed the tank twice.

I've also bulked up my cleaner crew a little more. Now I have 2 Astrea Snails, 2 Cerith Snails, 6 Hermit Crabs (White, Red, Black/White), 2 small Emerald Green Crabs, 1 Bristle Star, and 1 Cowrie (not sure which one, I forget what the MrCoral worker said) but I believe it's a dark onyx. Right now there is some unwanted algae in the tank but it is disappearing quick with this crew. Once it is gone I'll start clumping up some Nori I have and weighting it to the bottom for the Cowrie, Snails, etc..

Two cool stories to add. I went into MrCoral wanting 2 Emerald Crabs. The guy said they were out of them. I was looking in one of their Wrasse tank and I noticed one hiding under a rock. The worker was shocked that the Emerald was alive with 3 Wrasse in the tank, 2 of them quite large. Then we found another in a separate tank which had no predators. I feel good I saved an Emeralds life today!

The other story is since I was buying some hermits, they said I could have as many shells I want out of the tanks they had I grabbed some pretty cool ones including a bunch of Astrea shaped ones (which btw one hermit immediately switched into one when added to the tank, kept getting caught when climbing the rock, ended up falling off the rock, said screw it, went back to his old shell and switched back into it, haha... was the coolest 5 minutes of the tanks life so far!) However, I noticed something on one of the Astrea Snail shells I dropped in the tank. It is a very very tiny Feather Duster worm, maybe 1-2 mm long. I tried to get a clear picture but he is so small it's hard for my phone to focus. Either way I think he's really cool and I'm making damn sure to do my best to keep him alive. It's a new goal of mine! I put some phytoplankton mix I bought at the fish store in the tank and I plan to add a cap full every day. He seems really healthy at the moment. He comes out, spins his feathers, and when something swims by him he retracts back quick! Those are good signs of a healthy duster, correct?

He's very hard to see but he's on the left of the shell. You can kind of make him out.

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Almost forgot! Moss Balls looks good and I was able to get the Fireworm to abandon it! It now has 2 small bristle stars living in it! Good trade off!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Cool that you can actually go into MrCoral...I did an order from them a couple months back, I would like to see their real store.

Nice pick ups...featherdusters and other stuff growing on shells can be cool...I had some with some red macros on it shell not too long ago myself.

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Cool that you can actually go into MrCoral...I did an order from them a couple months back, I would like to see their real store.

Nice pick ups...featherdusters and other stuff growing on shells can be cool...I had some with some red macros on it shell not too long ago myself.
MrCoral is pretty nice. The store isn't huge or anything but they always have an amazing selection of coral.... about 10-12 tubs worth.

I was thinking of getting a Maxima clam or something.I have Power Compacts and heard they would be okay for them. My issue is, is my tank old enough? I have phytoplankton and what not to feed the tank. Would that be sufficient enough? I really would like a Blue or Green Maxima but I was told the Golds are a little more hardy. Any suggestions?

Do you think some Xenia in the tank would be okay?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store