Marimo Moss Balls in Saltwater Reef Tank?

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
If you go by "suggested methology" then no your tank is not mature enuff for a clam however it is suggested - meaning to be on the safe side as all tanks mature at different rates, skill levels differ, and religious w/c + maintence is usually not adheared. 1st tho I'd upgade your test kit to a Pro Reef style - make sure theres enuff calcium in the water and phosphates aren't thru the roof. I wasn't a big fan of instant oceans reef crystals - I'll spend the extra couple bucks for Red Sea Pro reef salt - in my tank, it's got more calcium and I use less salt mix weekly now than when I used the cheaper IO Crystals.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Thanks, Fleshy! I know some of those Nudibranches are down in Florida near where my Father lives in Palm Coast. Maybe I'll bring a few back when I go down there to see the last Space Shuttle Launch.

Whoh. Sorry I missed this...and no problem.

Hope you got to see the launch and that it went well. I never got to do that...but I have been down to the place in Florida. My dad was part of the Apollo 11 mission. (Strange but true - but also not an astronaut)

MrCoral is pretty nice. The store isn't huge or anything but they always have an amazing selection of coral.... about 10-12 tubs worth.

I was thinking of getting a Maxima clam or something.I have Power Compacts and heard they would be okay for them. My issue is, is my tank old enough? I have phytoplankton and what not to feed the tank. Would that be sufficient enough? I really would like a Blue or Green Maxima but I was told the Golds are a little more hardy. Any suggestions?

Do you think some Xenia in the tank would be okay?
Hmm. You might want to wait on the clam till you have a little more experience. I have seen people that have had clams and really not taken care of them...despite this, some of them have had success. Sometimes I feel as if its really hit or miss. Its do able for sure...just maybe you would be better off waiting some time.

Xenia is a good starting place, but be aware it will spread, and once it is on a rock, there is no getting it off. Make sure that you isolate the stuff so that it cant spread.

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Thanks guys. I am setting up my 55 gallon this weekend. I'm going to let it cycle fishless. Any suggestions on how to go about it? I'm getting live rock and dirty sand from a tank a couple of years old. I'm going to be putting about 80 lbs in it. How long do you think it should take to cycle?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how I should do it, whether I should do the dead shrimp method, etc.. I know nitrates would probably be crazy but would a cleaner crew be a bad idea? Also, during the cycling process do you all do water changes?

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
I guess I'll update this. I completely forgot I made it.

The Marimo Ball in Saltwater experiment did not work out the way I was hoping. After a few weeks the Ball started turning brown so I took it out and threw it in a jar of freshwater. It was then placed in an area where it could receive a lot of sunlight. Over a few days it started regaining it's color back. Once it regained it's color back I put it in the tank again with the same result.

Next experiment I should do would be to start with freshwater and slowly add salt over time. If I'm lucky I can figure out just how high of a salinity level these balls can handle. Maybe they would be okay for a Brackish tank.

CamighLeigh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Ohio
this was the most helpful thing i could find on keeping marimos in saltwater (waiting for mine in the mail) i will be keeping mine in with seamonkeys and i have a freshwater triop tank. do u know if they do well in distilled water? tried to send this to you in a private message but couldnt...this thread made me want to join!!! if i manage to keep these 2 tanks i have alive i will be trying my hand at a simple salt water tank anemones and clownfish...maybe a small peice of live rock!!! thanks for posting about the marimos!

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
this was the most helpful thing i could find on keeping marimos in saltwater (waiting for mine in the mail) i will be keeping mine in with seamonkeys and i have a freshwater triop tank. do u know if they do well in distilled water? tried to send this to you in a private message but couldnt...this thread made me want to join!!! if i manage to keep these 2 tanks i have alive i will be trying my hand at a simple salt water tank anemones and clownfish...maybe a small peice of live rock!!! thanks for posting about the marimos!

Be careful buying live rock. You can make dead rock "live" with patience. Live rock from stores, like Petco, can carry lots of disease. Just remember something like an anemone needs a very established tank.

Personally, I would setup your saltwater tank with a couple pieces of dead rock. Maybe 1.5lbs per gallon. Take some pantyhose, put a piece of shrimp in it, and hang it in the tank. Just let it run for a week or two just circulating. Do a 50% water change and add some copepods. After another week, setup a separate small 10 gallon tank. Do a water change, but take the water from your current tank and fill the 10 gallon with it.

Throw some clean pvc piping in the 10g. Buy yourself a Clownfish or two, and throw them in the 10 gallon. This is your observation/qt tank. Follow the medication guide. There is a great guide to QT on the reefsanctuary forum.

Over the course of observation and QT, which should take about 6 weeks, you will then have an established tank for the clowns that shouldn't have a crazy ammonia shock.

After a few months you can think about adding a nice bubbletip anemone or something.

If you throw one in immediately it will die.

Good Luck!

CamighLeigh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Ohio
ive decided to focus on seamonkeys! my little ones will be getting transfered to a 96oz tank later today did the math and treated the water as instructions say!. im still waiting for my marimos in the mail!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store