Matrix....

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Hawkfish3.0;1957032; said:
As opposed to?

What can compare? I am at a loss...I feel like Matrix was frowned upon only to prove a point(in a previous thread).....

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Now I understand what you're saying. I haven't used it, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. I would think, as long as it's inert and porous, I would think it would make a fine bio-media.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
What was said that made you second guess the quality of Matrix anyway?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The reason for this thread was me. Matrix has a much lower surface area than either biomax or ehfisubstrat/pro. Biomax clogs much easier than matrix, but the higher surface area is more important. Hagen filters run a ton of foam to help alleviate the floating particles in the water, which helps keep the bio-max from clogging. Substrat pro is VERY difficult to clog, and in fact I have not managed it yet, even after my crashed tank a few years ago, and all my monsters from my 150 and 135 were housed together. Matrix still clogs quite easily, and lacks in performance as far as bio capacity.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
WyldFya;1957571; said:
The reason for this thread was me. Matrix has a much lower surface area than either biomax or ehfisubstrat/pro. Biomax clogs much easier than matrix, but the higher surface area is more important. Hagen filters run a ton of foam to help alleviate the floating particles in the water, which helps keep the bio-max from clogging. Substrat pro is VERY difficult to clog, and in fact I have not managed it yet, even after my crashed tank a few years ago, and all my monsters from my 150 and 135 were housed together. Matrix still clogs quite easily, and lacks in performance as far as bio capacity.

Thanks for the answer :) Perhaps I will try some new things and not be so stuck in my ways...I promise I have never heard a bad thing about matrix till now...I keep mine in mesh and rinse it every month with tank water...If other medias can go longer, that would be great....Thanks Chris for the positive informative answer....Rico....

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I personally like Ehfisubstrat pro the best. I have tried Cell pore, and while it does have an absolutely ridiculous amount of surface area, it clogs far too easily.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
How does the pro compare to matrix in price? I'm not sure my pet stores carry it. And cell pore...Is that available by Internet only?

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
bigspizz;1957261; said:
WTF?.....Someone I hold a high opinion of said it was not "good"...I have always thought it was one of the elite bio medias...I would rather go with what is best...How the hell am I even close to trolling? Adding to this forum more than most mods is trolling? Wow.....Why the need for a reference...Is it good or not?.....
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:I have never seen spizz mad before

I have never used matrix. I can say nothing bad about biomax or substrat/pro though....

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Man...I feel like I'm stuck in the eighties and am the only one using matrix anymore....Did not mean to sound upset, but I'm no ones frickin troll......I was/am shocked that matrix sucks so bad...I have at least 1,000.00 worth in all my tanks...Back to square one I guess...

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
bigspizz;1957261; said:
How the hell am I even close to trolling? Adding to this forum more than most mods is trolling?
Most mods have to take away more than they add;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store