Matrix....

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Nic;1962743;1962743 said:
having all 3 i wont complain about the others being good media... the price on eheim sucks... i purchased 12L of matrix for what 2L if eheim would have cost and about 4L of biomax..... i have a large sump so id rather have good Q of decent bio media than have small amount of great bio.... for the amount of media bags i have to be filled with eheim would cost me over 300$... i love the matrix it kept my tanks water perfect and even started de nitrification at its highest stock level.... its damn good bang for the buck.... i wish i could afford to use nothing but eheim substrate pro... but my wallet wont let me....
4862/170=28.6. So to equal 1L of ehfisubstrat pro, you would need 28.6L of matrix just to have the same surface area. Lots of media takes more space and a bigger pump. I'd say you still over paid.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
bigspizz;1955431; said:
Since when is Sea-chem Matrix not a "good" bio media....? (general question can be answered by all...)
I swear by it, I do use the pond version in both canisters and wet dry's ..Doesn't plug, easy to clean..I haven't had the need to try anything else..:headbang2..Besides it's expanded porus glass..here's a seachem commerical plug

"Plastic bio-materials provide only external surface area, whereas matrix provides internal macroporous surface area. These macropores are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. This allows matrix, unlike other forms of biomedia, to remove nitrate along with ammonia and nitrite, simultaneously and in the same filter. Matrix is completely inert and will not breakdown. It need not be replaced. Use 1-2 liters of matrix for each 100 gallons. "

http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=SC9115&productid=SC9115&channelid=YAHOO

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
WyldFya;1964321; said:
4862/170=28.6. So to equal 1L of ehfisubstrat pro, you would need 28.6L of matrix just to have the same surface area. Lots of media takes more space and a bigger pump. I'd say you still over paid.
would you explain your numbers, I know the 170 sq ft is just the outside surface area of 1 L of Matrix. Where are you getting the ehiem numbers from I was unable to locate on their N.A. web site?

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
See bdericks post. Eheim lists their surface area right on the box. 18,300 sq ft per gallon of volume.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
WyldFya;1964398; said:
See bdericks post. Eheim lists their surface area right on the box. 18,300 sq ft per gallon of volume.
Thanks for not making me read through this thread looking for "bdericks" post....that number is amazing...:WHOA:

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Mr Pleco;1964416; said:
Thanks for not making me read through this thread looking for "bdericks" post....that number is amazing...:WHOA:

I thinking about buying some other things now...This thread served good purpose for me...I am not going to stop using matrix, but I will stop looking past other things as they are better anyway...Thanks for all the help here guys! I bet more than just me benifited....:D

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
bigspizz;1964443;1964443 said:
I thinking about buying some other things now...This thread served good purpose for me...I am not going to stop using matrix, but I will stop looking past other things as they are better anyway...Thanks for all the help here guys! I bet more than just me benifited....:D
Two ways to learn this stuff, learn from others experiences, or my method, buy everything out there, and try them out to see which works. My poor pleco tank had some fun a few years back getting to try different medias.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
WyldFya;1964793; said:
Two ways to learn this stuff, learn from others experiences, or my method, buy everything out there, and try them out to see which works. My poor pleco tank had some fun a few years back getting to try different medias.

:ROFL::ROFL: Reminds me of the conversations between me and my little brother....(he does not learn from my experience)...I am in no way like him....Thank you guys for giving it to me strait up....

CichlidAddict

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
MN
I use mostly Matrix because it had one of the best surface area to price ratios when i researched it.
I can't find the table any more that showed the various brands and their specs though...

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
bigspizz;1964843;1964843 said:
:ROFL::ROFL: Reminds me of the conversations between me and my little brother....(he does not learn from my experience)...I am in no way like him....Thank you guys for giving it to me strait up....
I'm glad I never had to do that with lighting... I've been happy with the little upgrades I have made here and there. Unfortunately I'm looking at upgrading to MH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store